New Harmonic Ballancer - Timing seal leak - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2003, 02:57   #1 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

New Harmonic Ballancer - Timing seal leak

About a week ago I put in a new Harmonic ballancer in my ed, as well as a seal about a week previously, but it is still leaking a noticeable amount. Any idea's on how to stop it or why it is still leaking?

Donno

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Dull Alloy factory mags, ooo yeah.

Proud TQE Operator
donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2003, 05:02   #2 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Re: New Harmonic Ballancer - Timing seal leak

You put a new front crank seal in? Are you sure it's that that was leaking in the first place?
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 05:03   #3 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Did you use a proper installer tool or hammer it on. If the latter you have damaged the seal.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:38   #4 (permalink)

If you used a new seal with the old balancer you may have damaged the seal,also check the timing chain tensioner,they are known to leak
Old 12-28-2003, 01:02   #5 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah right
You put a new front crank seal in? Are you sure it's that that was leaking in the first place?
She was definately leaking around the timing seal, we took it back to the dealer and the mechanic there put a new seal in. But it still leaked, so Dad and I put in a reconditioned harmonic ballancer. We got out the orriginal using a propper puller and back in using a rubber mallet at first to get it started, then all the way tightening the bolt into the crank and thick washer pulling it in. I'll get the old man to check out the timing chain tensioner. Thanks for the advice so far guys.

Donno

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Proud TQE Operator
Old 12-28-2003, 01:15   #6 (permalink)

Mate ive just put a new seal in the same spot when you put it in did the little metal ring go in w it? Check that first then maybe check the seal under the timing case to see if thats gone its connected to the sump gasket.
Mr TiCkFoRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 04:23   #7 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

I just noticed the Gregory's and Haynes manuals suggest using a soft faced hammer to tap the balancer on. However, I think hammering the balancer is a no no as, while using a rubber or wooden mallet will prevent damage to the balancer, the crank itself will still be moving and this means the risk of changing the crank endplay and/or damaging the bearings (not designed for the crank to slide laterally on them) or even cracking the crank. You will get away with it 98% of times but can you afford the 2% risk?
Old 12-30-2003, 00:36   #8 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

Well the timing seal has stopped leaking, thats the good news, the bad is the sump gasket appears to also leaking, and according to the ole man, the engine has to be pulled out to fix it :(. First we'll try some STP stop leak then we'll see if its possible to seal it from outside the sump with silicone or something. Thanks for all the help guys.

Donno

Proud TQE Operator
Old 12-30-2003, 02:21   #9 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

You may be able to do it by just lifting the motor with the engine mounts undone but the transmission still in place. I'm not familiar with the particular arrangement but I've done it on other cars.
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 04:45   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donno
Well the timing seal has stopped leaking, thats the good news, the bad is the sump gasket appears to also leaking, and according to the ole man, the engine has to be pulled out to fix it :(. First we'll try some STP stop leak then we'll see if its possible to seal it from outside the sump with silicone or something. Thanks for all the help guys.

Donno
With the sump gasket,check that the bolts are tight,clean around the edges of the sump and put a good seal of oxy sensor safe silicon.Normally works well and easier than taking the motor out.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech