New headgasket. Now car is running WORSE! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2004, 02:28   #1 (permalink)
Packed up and gone.....

mad New headgasket. Now car is running WORSE!

Hey guys, once again here I am asking for help on My Futura which seems to have never ending problems.

I picked it up this morning from getting the headgasket done (It had broken a headbolt) and now, Its running WORSE! It just isn't the same car anymore. In fact, it was running fine before the headgasket was done, you would never have though there was a problem with it.

After the headgasket change initially when i'd picked it up it had absolutely NO power whatsoever, it was gurgling and backfiring when I let off the throttle, and Idling at around 1500RPM (it should be 675-725RPM). The exhaust was making a shit of a noise.

When I started it again, the car revved to 2500RPM (waaay too high) and settled at an idle speed of 1500, still no power and no pull whatsoever. After about 10 minutes it settled down a bit, power came back, but not fully, and the mechanic drove it and said that he felt that there wasn't a problem. He Adjusted the idle and it idles at 1100RPM now, still too high!

Its better than it was initially, but it still hasnt got the power and punch it used to, it feels tired, and its idleing high and has no throttle response whatsoever. Im so f***ing tired of this sh*t.

I went up a hill in first gear part throttle and it felt like it had no pull, then all of a sudden BANG! Power kicked in (without me pushing harder on the pedal) and the car was bunny hopping up the hill, then felt like it was gonna stall. It then did it again 5 seconds later!

WHAT THE HELL HAS HAPPENED TO MY CAR!?? I have to go back there next week to get the headbolts tightened so guys tell me whats happening so I can try to give him some suggestions...
He beleives that the car is fine. But he never drove it before, he never knew what it went like, what the hell would he know? Guys some help?? Whats wrong!!???

Thanks,
-A Very Desperate and Exhausted XR6child

You know who I am...
-Dan
XR6child is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2004, 02:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: New headgasket. Now car is running WORSE!

go back monday and show them the car asap!
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 02:59   #3 (permalink)
Packed up and gone.....

He thinks its fine though! He didnt feel it in the first 10 minutes when it was at its worst, and he didnt drive it before the gasket went in so he doesnt know!
I got no idea whats going wrong.....

You know who I am...
-Dan
Old 05-15-2004, 03:01   #4 (permalink)

well give it time to relearn.

Also try extracting some error codes. It could be timing/cam timing out.

Do you get a hesitation when flooring it from idle? Does the engine surge when under load?
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 04:05   #5 (permalink)
Packed up and gone.....

Just took it for another drive and yeah its flatspotting eveywhere, and just has no balls, its not the same car and I'm pissed off cuz i have to drive an hour and ten to get back to the mechanic who did the headgasket!!!

You know who I am...
-Dan
Old 05-15-2004, 07:30   #6 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

sounds like a severly retared timing mabey

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 08:03   #7 (permalink)

mhm ...
could be a few things

i hope ur mechnics used the right specs to tighten the headbolts (dont laugh i have seen it all!) had a nissan with incorect specs on head bolts and it was dead performance and economy wise. what happened was it wasnt tight enough and had pressure leaks everywhere.

2nd could be timing ... 95EF should be a coil pack, so i hope the didnt spin the cam while the head was off .... otherwise u gotta dial the cam back in - if its one of the very rare dizzy EFs (yes yes they do exist) u can play around with teh dizzy.

3rd try resetting the ecu again and get rid of all error codes

4th maybe one of the sensors is reading faulty now due to whatever reason or is not connected at all. also check the crank angel sensor if its bolted down properly if its a coil pack.

good luck
Old 05-15-2004, 17:58   #8 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

When you get the throwout bearing done my mate will beable to sort it out. If he cant fix it noone will.
Old 05-15-2004, 20:59   #9 (permalink)
Ute Rider

I had to get my head machined due to a broken exhaust side front head bolt when they did the head gasket, so maybe the head is warped on yours.
Just a piece of information I picked up from a mechanic I trust, is that on EB2,ED,XG,XH engines, the head bolts are single tension use. I believe this means that once you tighten them up to correct tension, they cant be retightened or reused if they do it wrong. I will be supprised if your head bolts can be retensioned.
Old 05-16-2004, 00:24   #10 (permalink)
Packed up and gone.....

Oh god.. How confusing, i wish i knew more about these 4 litre engines.....

could it have somehting to do with the TDC timing mark?

I read about it on EAFalcon.com

You know who I am...
-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech