The Next Step - More Horses!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2004, 05:06   #1 (permalink)

The Next Step - More Horses!!

Well finally Ive fixed everything that I wish I didn't have to fix (clutch, diff, starter motor and the rest) and its time to do something else to the motor. And Im not spending my money on a chip yet. People have told me that the car wont run with the mods (in signature) Ive got without a chip - and its producing 172 HP at the wheels and still running rich on the dyno.

So, Im attacking the head and matching the inlet manifold - all to work with the mods Ive allready got. Has anyone got some horsepower hints/experience???? And also what head gasket kit do you guys reccommend - genuine ford or the likes of one from an auto place!! And whats the best gasket goo to use?? And which timing chain cover do I use to stop it from leaking - I think its the one out of and el???
Falcon S, MPFI, red, Resprayed with colour coded bumpers, motorvator extractors, walker hi-flow cat, 2 & 1/2 exhaust system, cold air intake using hi-flow K&N pod filter (heat sheilded), stage 3 crow cam with a vernier cam timing gear. Severly ported and polished EB 4.0L head, shimmed valve springs - compression ratio (9.5:1 +). Making 145rwkw!!
Grant Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2004, 06:07   #2 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

Re: The Next Step - More Horses!!

DONT use goo on the head gasket... USE au falcon gasket with new bolts, only use ultra blue, or sika lex, around the front timing cover gasket....
3.7 lsd
AU bottem end
ELXR6 ported Head
PH4480 Pacemakers
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 06:21   #3 (permalink)

I replaced my EF timing cover with an EL one (only because that is what ford sold me). The EL ones use a different timing chain tensioner to the EFs so I had to buy that as well.

As far as the head goes, get the XR exhaust valves fitted and maybe have the ports cleaned up. I didnt do anything to the intake other than run the grinder around to take out all the casting marks.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 11:38   #4 (permalink)

i was putting out 179rwhp with K&N Panel filter, EB XR cam and a 2 1/2" cat back exhaust and thermo fans.

I have since got a bigger cam, put pacemaker competition extractors and a high flow cat on. I would expect it to be putting out 195-200rwhp, as Rollin was putting out 197rwhp and doing the same trap speed as i do on the qtr... i havent touched the head or valve springs as yet... I also dont have vernier cam gear to adjust the timing.

is your car an auto or manual... also, i spose we cant really compare dyno figures as we wouldnt have been on the same dyno etc... if you have a manual i would suggest putting in 3.9 diff gears to get your launches right, its one of the best things i have ever done...

94 ED Futura
PROUD TQE OPERATOR
13.822 @ 99.67MPH - Willowbank 05/08/2006
OED666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:34   #5 (permalink)

Did the thermo fans give much of a power gain. I understand that it can drag 10hp or whatever when clutch fan is fully engaged, but when its not engaged it just free wheels?? I was thinking about doing it but I didnt know whether it was worth it or not. Did u use the ones out of the el 5 litre V8?????
Falcon S, MPFI, red, Resprayed with colour coded bumpers, motorvator extractors, walker hi-flow cat, 2 & 1/2 exhaust system, cold air intake using hi-flow K&N pod filter (heat sheilded), stage 3 crow cam with a vernier cam timing gear. Severly ported and polished EB 4.0L head, shimmed valve springs - compression ratio (9.5:1 +). Making 145rwkw!!
Grant Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 03:01   #6 (permalink)

na, i have ones out of a taxi... they work a treat... when i put the xr cam and thermos on it took 0.6 off my qtr times

94 ED Futura
PROUD TQE OPERATOR
13.822 @ 99.67MPH - Willowbank 05/08/2006
OED666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech