NF overheating - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2003, 14:41   #1 (permalink)

NF overheating

hi everyone and Merry Christmas.

i have posted this problem on another forum and we have not come up with a solution so see how you all see it.

i have an NF Fairlane 6cyl on gas. i had a problem start about 2 months ago when as i was driving a bit hard or going up hill or reving the car the temp would slowly rise until the temp got to 3/4 on the gauge( the R on NORMAL) and at that point the A/C would shut off (this is caused by the cut off on the comp) the fans would go to high and it would cool back too 1/4 ( L ) and after about ten minutes the A/C would come back and off we went again.

as i own a car yard i have plenty of workshops so i sent it to one and they said it was a blocked radiator. what i am about to list is what we have now done or replaced on the car up until yeasterday.

head gasket replaced and reco head, thermostat(various dec), water pump, new radiator, ECU, all hoses, temp sensor, whole system flushed and a new radiator cap. we also had the fans wired up to run on med/high when the A/C is on and high when the car reaches a preset point via a davies graig controller. all of this mad eno difference at all!!!!

we then took the trans oil cooler off and cleaned the condenser as some times a small leak from the oil cooler will block it up. this worked a bit and the temp sat lower on the gauge(just below the L) but still when you rev it too high or drive hard or a hill it climbs. so some one suggested i let some A/C gas out. we did this and the car stayed at 1/4 longer but eventually climbed but this was the first time we had any real gain. so we took it to a A/C shop and he said the head pressures were very high and this was because the car was getting hot.

so we are now at the point where the car actually runs cold at idle and takes a while to get warm thats how good the cooling is working! what we found today is if you hold your hand behind the thermo's at idle you feel some heat being sucked off the radiator and condenser but when you turn off ths A/C it drops, ok thats normal, but when you hold the revs at 2-3000 with the A/C off there is afair bit more heat as the engine is working harder and thats right but the moment you turn on the A/C the heat goes to a point where you cannot hold your hand there i mean it gets really hot and i dont think thats right and when you look at it thats been the problem all along--- fine at idle/low speeds cool days but on hot days/acceleration/hills or hard driving temp goes up.

answers please? could the A/C OVERHEAT THE CAR? when it does get hot if i slow down or stop the fans cool it down very quickly
amiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2003, 16:36   #2 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

Re: NF overheating

By the sounds of it you've replaced more than ya needed too.

Have you put an aftermarket temp gauge on it?

Does it get this hot on Petrol?

Is the LPG tuned?

It also sounds like the thermostat is buggered!
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 17:35   #3 (permalink)
known as tibbo

by the sounds of it ..seeming how the cooling system is almost new..i'd put my money on the A/C compressor clutch bearing being very stiff or completely rooted (but not at all noisey) . Whats the underside of the fanbelt look like? If the A/c compressor requires more force to rotate it maybe it is also slowing down the water pump drive too?

Last edited by RaceCraft; 12-27-2003 at 17:36. Reason: spelling was very ordinary
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 18:34   #4 (permalink)
EB wagon

Ummm... this happens on my car.... I thought it was normal??? With the A/C on, my temp needle wonders up to the top of the normal block and stays between there and half way. With no A/C it sits on spot on half. Sometimes it wanders up a tad until the thermostat opens more but then comes back down. It does say "NORMAL" and is within this range so i assumed this is OK!

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 21:31   #5 (permalink)

Wow thats very high, my ED sits on 'o' in normal for me and with A/C on with a bit of hard accel ion traffic in freaky hot day it wil get to 1/2 but otherwise will only move to 'r'.
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 21:52   #6 (permalink)
known as tibbo

ahh the more i think about it are you 100% postive the second thermo is engaging with the A/C compressor... not to be a smart ass but incase you don't know and want to check BOTH fans are spinning get a drinking straw or a long cable tie and actually poke it inside the shroud ...
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 22:52   #7 (permalink)

thermostat has been checked and replced twice just in case we also ran it without one-- same. both fans are working for sure.we thought about the compressor but the problem there is if it was holding the motor back the temp would not drop when you go to idle or drive gentley as it is still pumping. and if the pump was sticking it would over heat far quicker and shut itself off
Old 12-28-2003, 03:15   #8 (permalink)
Lord of the RC

Wow your cars sti very high

Mine doesnt even get past the L with a/c on flat out ( a/c max + fann on boost ) and a really hot trip

Would agree with something on the a/c is causing it to get that hot
O.F.R #6 : PM Me
Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Member #4 of the MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
fordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 05:40   #9 (permalink)

Hmm... this won't really help the original question [sorry!] but one thing i've noticed is that some people are confusing the dash readings. i.e. if your temp guage runs clockwise (from left pointing to top) then N is quite cool ... but if it runs anticlockwise (as my EF, from right pointing to top), then N is far too hot. When people speak of temperatures, can we speak in say, percentages, or at least specify which dash you have or something, etc

Cheers!

jasonk
jason_k_3431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 07:19   #10 (permalink)

L-- cool N--- hot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech