noisy lifters - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2003, 05:10   #1 (permalink)
the shmang

mad noisy lifters

ok my lifters are ticking like mad!!! every time i start her cold itll do it after a while itll go away but when i changed my oil it was ticking all the time i put in thick oil too (20w 50) does this mean i have to replace the lifters or is there a cheaper way to rectifythe problem my boss said get some lifter lube stuff but i think he was just havin me on

id sooner drive my ford than push a holden.....or my girlfreinds pulsar lol!!
ONE39L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2003, 02:34   #2 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Re: noisy lifters

Did you run a flush through it before you drained the old oil? There are some additives that claim to free sticky lifters - but I've never tried any of them so can't comment on whether they work or not.

I once had a ticking lifter in my Legacy that only occured once it got past 5000km since the oil was last changed. I used a non-kero flush in it (Eagle or something was the name) on 2 consecutive oil changes & the tick has never returned.
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 03:21   #3 (permalink)

Was that "Gold Eagle" engine oil flush?. If so, it's good to take a note of something that works and doesn't stuff up the motor.

cheers
Old 09-17-2003, 03:22   #4 (permalink)

Well i put in new lifters with my new cam and they were louder then the old ones??? But give it a while and they get better, coz sometimes they rotate and loose a bit of pressure. Don't worry.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:09   #5 (permalink)

The trick I did when I replaced my lifters is to fill up the new ones with oil before puting back in rocker gear. They only make a noise for 20,to 30 seconds then.
torpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 04:13   #6 (permalink)

I did the same but every morning after for the first few weeks it was noisy
Old 09-17-2003, 05:40   #7 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGhia
Was that "Gold Eagle" engine oil flush?. If so, it's good to take a note of something that works and doesn't stuff up the motor.

cheers
Yeah - that sounds like it. It was a clear container - black cap - and the flush itself was a browny-gold - really thin. I got it at Segedins here in Auckland - I have to go there for some other stuff in the next week so I'll check the name when I'm there & post it. I think it's American - I seem to remember the quantity was an imperial measure.

I ran a precautionary flush through my XF when I got it too.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:45   #8 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Stupid Woolworths brain - should have just looked it up before I posted:

http://www.goldeagle.com/gebrand/eng_wear.html

I know the name is tacky - kinda like something a coconut would put on his jacked-up 4K Corolla - but it's good stuff IMHO.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:37   #9 (permalink)
the shmang

roll

hey you knockin 4k's????? the motors rock! we got em at tafe anyway yes i flushed.........and flushed........and it still did it so i flushed the bugger again.......... it only ticks all the time for the first 1000kms i found then itll only do it for a bit in the mornin but i change my oil every 5000 so the whole cycle will start again im goin to wait till i get a new cam before i change the lifters and yeah filling them with oil when you put em in helps em bleed up faster...well thats what i figured

id sooner drive my ford than push a holden.....or my girlfreinds pulsar lol!!
ONE39L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech