Noisy Valvetrain Inline6???? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2002, 01:33   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Noisy Valvetrain Inline6????

Ok as most of you know i had my car repaired from the mechanics for a blown head gasket. I got a host of other things done while ther car was dismantled. One of which was new lifters.
Now the car makes more valvetrain noise clatter than ever.

Before they work on the car again on monday, i am trying to think what can be the problem.

I have a few possibilities,

- incorrect shiming in rocker assy.
- air trapped in the tapet body
- wrong lifters for an EF Series 1 (does anyone know if the Inline6 from the EA - AU take the same hydraulic lifters).

Another thing which just struck me but i'm not too sure of could the timing be wrong on teh car ie the chain sprockets are not set properly.

EF_GuY is very puzzled, and the noise is really getting at me. When inside the car if the fan is off then you can hear it, with the fan on 1 you can't hear the noise, but never the less i know it's still there as i've driven many falcons and it's suppose to be silent.

Oh yeah when i start up after a few hours of a complete stop i still get the inital clattering/tapping for say 5-7seconds, but i don't think this is a problem as i suspect it's the timing chain slack before it tensions up. But after that i can hear clatter that shouldn't be there, and it gets louder as the revs get higher.

Ok, better stop now as i've typed waaaay to long for a post.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2002, 05:54   #2 (permalink)

What type of oil did they put in after they did the headgasket?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 17:46   #3 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Noise while the engine is running higher than idle is definitely not right - most you should get off-idle is maybe a bit of slight "whirring" noise.

Timing won't cause the noise you've got - the car would virtually be undriveable if the timing was far enough out to cause such noise.

I think AP's point about top end oil supply could be significant for you - also, is this rattling you have now definitely from lifters? - because if it's the chain, then maybe they haven't released the tensioner plunger properly. Also have a look down on the side of the front case next to the power steering pump at the round "bung" you can see there - that's the tensioner cover and if it's leaking at all then there'll be an immediate impact on top end oil pressure (the plunger is pressurised by the same supply that does the valve train and cam).

One thing that can happen is that if the oil is not taken out of the rocker sadle bolt holes (I use cotton buds) then the bolts can hit hydraulic lock and not actually pull down properly. Just some of the bolts not pulled down properly would have an impact not only directly by allowing the valve clearance to increase, but also by allowing oil to bleed out on it's way to the rockers.

The oil transfers up from the head (from the same same galleries that do the cam) to the rocker shafts thru some of the saddles. The "interface" points for the oil passages between the head and the saddles use short sleeves - which also locate the rocker assembly. It's very unlikely but if any of those sleeves have been left out then once again it could well have impact on pressure supply to the rockers and therefor lifters.

Having said all that, if the sound seems to be one lifter only then you might have just got one dud lifter.

Fingers crossed for you.
EDFUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 03:26   #4 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

EDFUTURA,
To describe the noise, when i say it's loud it's louder than before. When in the car with the radio off, windows up and fan on 1 i can't hear the noise. Only if the fan is completly off i can hear the noise. I know it's not suppose to be there as i've driven hundreds of Inline 6 falcons. After you mentioned it, it could well be that i have one lifter thats a dud. I've used Mobil 1 for the entire life of the car, so i don't think the oil pump will be stuffed.
It should be noted that when the pulled the head off both the head machinest and mechanics were bloody suprised at how good nick the engine, head were in.

Martin,
I specified Mobil 1.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
Old 03-17-2002, 03:38   #5 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

I haven't heard the noise, but i would try using a different oil. Mobile 1 is a thinner oil than recommend for your engine, especially since it's a high mileage engine. You lifters might not be pumping up properly because the oil could be too thin. Try a 20w-50 or 25w-50 engine oil.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 05:01   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Most likely a faulty lifter but could be any number of assembly wrrors as well (ie forgot to tighten a valve stud, dirt in a lifter, loose chain tensioner etc). It's not unusual to get one faulty lifter in a set of 12 and some times its takes a few miles before they fail.
Old 03-17-2002, 05:44   #7 (permalink)
BA Turbo

Re: Noisy Valvetrain Inline6????

Quote:
Originally posted by EF_Falcon_GuY
Oh yeah when i start up after a few hours of a complete stop i still get the inital clattering/tapping for say 5-7seconds, but i don't think this is a problem as i suspect it's the timing chain slack before it tensions up.
One of my mates who uses his company EF and ELs all have that clattering/tapping noise you described EF guy. I have an EF and ONLY on a cold start it does it (usually only for about 1-2 seconds).

However, I cant remember if it makes a clatter noise if you rev it (got this niggling feeling it does ... or maybe someone else?). Ill check 2moro morning and post again.
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 06:12   #8 (permalink)
Dreamer

i have a huge rattle in my EF I6, and it pisses me off, in neutral, you cant really hear it at all, but leave it in drive at the lights, it rattles its head off, i want a full rebuild on my car (with new cam, kekeke) and then maybe that noise will go away, i can get a cost price rebuild, so i think i might do it.

190k on the dial, and lots of little annoying problems, so might fix it all in one big shot.
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 06:56   #9 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Another posibility is you said you got a rebuilt head, does that also mean reco camshaft? If it is it maybe "reground" with a smaller base circle cam meaning you'll need shims,bad news, can be alot of things.It could be they sent the head away to be machined etc and thats what has happened.You will be better off with original cam or "billet" aftermarket cam,{"E.B on nos" sounds and goes o/k,} billet to keep geometry the same.Just a thought, Graeme...I bet you havn't been sleeping too well??
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 14:24   #10 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by ebxr8240
Another posibility is you said you got a rebuilt head, does that also mean reco camshaft? If it is it maybe "reground" with a smaller base circle cam meaning you'll need shims,bad news, can be alot of things.It could be they sent the head away to be machined etc and thats what has happened.You will be better off with original cam or "billet" aftermarket cam,{"E.B on nos" sounds and goes o/k,} billet to keep geometry the same.Just a thought, Graeme...I bet you havn't been sleeping too well??
My cam was untouched as there was no signs of wear at all. The head didn't even need welding. Anyways the EF is back at the mechanics for a full day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech