O.K.you lot - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2004, 02:04   #1 (permalink)

O.K.you lot

O.k. you people out there, I've got one for you:

Recently had LPG fitted to an EL I6. Cost a pretty penny too I might add. It is a Gasresearch carby system. The shop that fitted it has had a tough time getting a base idle, so, if I want it done right, I do it myself.

Now, when doing the base idle on the EFI system one has to disconnect the ICS, does one have to do the same thing when setting the base idle for the gas?

The second question: I wish to check the timing, The manual warns against connecting a timing light with the engine running, due to power surges. My timing light is an induction one, one that clips over the spark plug lead, and is powered by the battery. Am I taking a risk by using this type of light.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2004, 02:35   #2 (permalink)
EF Wagon

Re: O.K.you lot

That timing light is fine.

Not 100% sure about setting the timing on a EL. So i wont make a fool out of myself
Although im pretty sure u need to go into "base mode" before u check the timing.
VBman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:29   #3 (permalink)

Unfortunately I can't offer you any help as to how to fix your problem, but I'd be very interested in finding out how you get on with the Gasresearch people who did your installation..
Hmmm.. It seems odd that they didn't get it right.. and for the cost it should be..
There's a story in it all? Eastern suburbs maybe?
---------------------------------
rawlinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 15:30   #4 (permalink)
registered sex maniac

i was thinking about hooking gas up to my el,i found a 2nd hand setup for 350 including a tank with ten years on it,would you say its been worth youre while?
ford freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:55   #5 (permalink)

Hi again. Finally got back to say thanks to the people who answered. I guess I shouldn't really say who fitted the system, slander and all that, but let's say their name means "very fast". Their idea seems to be that bigger is better. I have had a few conversations with other gas fitters that Gasresearch recommend, and they all say to fit a S400 carb. These people have fitted a S440 carb, and have also modified the stepped piston that allows the gas flow. I have had to run the idle absolutely as rich as it will go in order to get it to idle smoothly. I am happy with the way that it runs, but I was not happy with their choice of carby. No amount of arguing would shift them, so I am stuck with the S440. I am of a mind to buy an S400 carby and fit it myself. (The S440 carb is usually used as a secondary to the main carb on a twin carb setup for V8's) I am sure it is flowing too much. It seems akin to putting a Holley 350 on a Holden 186. Runs crappy low down, no guts, but when you hit about 4000 RPM, it goes like s#@t off a shovel. But who drives everywhere @ 4000 RPM?

While I am on the subject "ford freak", I believe that it will be worth it. I intend keeping the car for at least 10 years, and by that time, gas should be maybe 80 cents a litre, but I am sure that petrol will be in the $1.50 a litre mark. At the moment it is very worth it, as I have paid only 35 cents/litre,when petrol was $1.07.
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 02:26   #6 (permalink)

@ford freak,
I bought a 2nd hand lpg sys once - impco 300A and retested tank (10yrs) cost $350 allup.
after friggin around most of eastern qld for someone to fit it (all too paranoid of 2nd hand stuff) Found 1 shop quoted $550 to fit it endedup being $906 and major hair loss.
Wasnt really worth it in the end
smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech