Ford Forums banner

OK.. now that AV is getting DOHC Turbos.....

2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  XRUTE 
#1 ·
We all know that the new xr6's (AV model - Project Barra) are gonna come with turbos.
Does that mean the factory turbo system will be more accessible for us with older model fords.
If so.. i'll wash out the Supercharger thoughts and wait for the TURBO!!!!

Anyone have any comments?

#4 ·
I know from Ford sources, the six is DEFINITELY Double Overhead Cam 24 Valves, 180kw standard on the Forte.

The XR6 will have a Turbo option (maybe twin not sure) either 220kw or 240kw.

Then there is the V8 Engines...
4.6l DOHC 32V 240kw
5.4l DOHC 32V 280 kw - 300 kw
The Ford dealers in the know are ecstatic but
have allot of stock to move but the fresh AUIII should help.

At long last, petrol heads rule the day.

And Holden are a year behind, all they have is a very old GenIII pushrod.

#5 ·
Ford Aus. are not using the 4.6l. They are using two versions of the 5.4l V8. One is known as the 3V, the other is the 4V (presumably, the number of values/cyl.)

The turbo will be single only.

G
#7 ·
You may be interested to know Tickford are also developing a Turbo V8.

Some interesting developements on the Barra motor are
Direct Coil Ignition per plug (no more dizzy under the manifold Woo Hoo)
Twin Cam Head (already mentioned)
Carry over Intake Manifold
New Crank design

G
#8 ·
3 valve??

One 5.4 is SOHC (one per cylinder bank, so it still has 2 cams) and the Cobra Engine with DOHC (two per bank, one cam for inlet one for exhaust each bank).

The SOHC is no slouch either. They have had this engine in the F150 SVT Lightning truck for the past three years with a super/c and they run 13 sec quarter mile times from the factory :)~

G
#9 ·
Venom Xr.. mike mentioned the 3 vavle thing to me on club meeting night, i frankly dont believe it is anyting other than a inlet head design name.. E.G. like Clevelands heads had either 4V or 2V design. Didnt mean how many vavles it was running. the 4.6 modular has 4V and 2V version also.

Think about it. how would a 3 vavle per cylinder engine actually work/look?

G
#10 ·
XRUTE

Which motor are you talking about? Both the mod motor range and the Windsor already have EDIS systems and have had for some time now.

Slim

C'mon dude, ou know better than that. Mercedes already has a 3 valve per chamber V8 in cars. It i probably done with a special rocker linking the 2 inlet valves (but dont quote me on that hehe). NO one talks about 2V and 4V head designs like the clevelands had anymore.

As to valve placement and size well the inlet valves are smaller than in a regular 2v head and placed next to each other with a larger (by comparison) exhaust valve placed opposite. The plug would be placed centrally. While the intake valves are smaller individually they allow for more total area hence their use. Since the head probably is sohc costs are kept down and the size of the upper head assembly can be smaller than a dohc design.

#11 ·
regarding 3 valve engines,

there have been qite a few made in the past ie. merc (as above), volvo and a few motor bikes too. when holden tried to put over head cams on there 5.0 they used a 3 valve setup too.

most of the set ups had one big valve and 2 small ones. some had a rocker set up and some just had a third lobe running directly in the valve.

didn't 2v and 4v refer to the number of venturies in the carby?

G
#12 ·
They could even go all tricky on us and start throwing in electro staticly controled rockers. I have heard of some design they use in some rice burner cars and european. But im not quite sure they exactly work. But thats just a brain fart.

#13 ·
You're probably right Sam. The 4V DOHC 5.4l is definitely 32value, or 4 values per cylinder but there won't be a 3/cyl version. I was under the impression both 5.4's were DOHC though.

G
#14 ·
Kon,
The EDIS system (I assume you're meaning the direct coil ignition) is on the 6, from memory the 8 they'll be using is the 4.6 (it was about 12 months ago I was at Geelong looking at the Barra motors)
The turbo on the 6 was at that stage a low pressure single turbo.
I think the plan on the 8 is a twin turbo system.

#16 ·
Actually, John Mellor's new Automotive Newsletter sez, and I quote...

"Little is known about Falcon's new modular 5.4-litre engine, but it is understood the alloy bent eight will feature at least three values per cylinder..."

as well as the OHC, long stroke we know about.

So maybe I'm not far wrong, otherwise it would be a silly thing for them to say in an article if 3 values/cyl. was not possible with such an engine.

G
#18 ·
We have motors here that are three valve.Some 4 cyl trucks are or how do they have 12 valve head??!!Mazda and Nissan especially..Then there is the Mazda 626 12 valve.

The Ford edis system can go one step further though and have coil on plug and do away with spark leads altogether as in most V6 Rice burners Holden Rodeo,Subaru anyway.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the 4v 5:4 Cobra twin cam per bank, is a bit of a hybrid made for the Cobra R.I don't think it's made mass production..?? Yet.5:4 is s.o.h.c so far ?

I have seen on Corral net or B.O.N?? in past[a few years back] that Ford U.S are developing a 3 valve for Australia,they did mention that n.v.h had to be sorted out and some timing chain issues,& e.p.a.

2V and 4V in Clevo's they are talking about is how many venturi's as in 2 barrel or 4 barrel,not valves..The heads,cam and inlet were designed to suit..

The lightning is supercharged 5:4 positive displacment blower for low torque.Quicker than a Mustang too.

G
#19 ·
Kon,
What I meant was they have individual coils per plug, mounted directly above the plug, so no spark plug leads. From memeory this is new, the AU falcon still has the leads coming from the intake side over the head to the plugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.