Pannel vs Pod inside EF airbox - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2005, 21:49   #1 (permalink)

Pannel vs Pod inside EF airbox

What would flow better, a K&N pannel or a pod filter using same filter material (both inside the EF air box). I

Got a JMM DEV5 with race intake kit, this includes a pod mounted inside the airbox (can post some pics if anyone wants to see).

Comparing a pannel to the pod that I got with the kit and it looks like the pannel has more filter surface area than the pod. The EF pannel is pretty big.

Is there some property that makes a pod style filter flow better than pannel, assuming same filter meduim and both are clean? Note, both pannel and pod are inside the standard airbox, tubing in the air box has been removed to make room for the pod though.

Has this been tested anywhere? I know zoom mag did a test of air boxes once and the EF was the best of the bunch.

I imaginge that there would be little difference to performance of car over all, just interested.

Thanks for any info
5_Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2005, 21:51   #2 (permalink)

Re: Pannel vs Pod inside EF airbox

Autospeed has tested this, I would just use the pannel.
AU Series 1 I6 Futura, 17" XR Series III Rims, Kings superlow springs and Bilstien shocks, K-MAC adjustable caber kit, xr8 snorkle, BMC Filter, EF a/box lid, custom storm water pipeing, pacemakers, h/flow cat, 2 1/2" zorst mandrel bent, dyno'd @ 117.2kwrw b4 bmc
ir33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 21:56   #3 (permalink)

Thanks i33t, yeah, atm just got the pannel in there (K&N). You don't have a link to the article?

Also, how do you clean a pod?
I have the K&N cleaning kit, not sure how it would work if you couldn't effectively get to both sides of the filter meduim as in a pod.
Old 01-16-2005, 22:55   #4 (permalink)
NOW STARK EA

have you got picks of your pod in the box? ive got ef throttle body with mandrel bent pipe running to a pod on my ea and would like to fit it in a box, and have the pipe from the front bar going into the box aswell...

thanks if you can...Rayos
Red_EB_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 18:54   #5 (permalink)

I will get some pics for you of the pod and the mounting for it, it's currently not in the car though. From the pics it will be pretty obvious how it all fits together though.
Old 01-17-2005, 20:31   #6 (permalink)
Gonna miss the ED :(

dude. If the pod is heat shielded (as you are doing) it will flow better then a panel.
Not much, but it is better.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:59   #7 (permalink)
NOW STARK EA

kool thanks man
Red_EB_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 18:12   #8 (permalink)
FPVWEPN

the pod will be better if you get a large enough pod it will have more surface area than a panel imagine unrolling the pod to make it flat it would be huge!!
King Springs Superlows, K-mac camber-castor kit, colour coded interior, AU3 Xr8 Snorkle, K&N pod Filter, Deribbed Air Box, AutoLite Plugs, JMM Race Series Headers, High flow cat, 2.5 inch Redback exaust, 3" stainless steel intake, dev 5 cam, rollmaster timing gear, crow valve springs, stainless steel valves, dev 5 head, au headgasket, 4.11 LSD "174 rwks!!!"
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech