Peltier Air Box - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2004, 01:18   #1 (permalink)

Peltier Air Box

Has anybody thought about using a peltier effect semiconductor device into the air box before? I've just done it it makes a hell of a difference, similar to putting in a whole lot of ice cubes in the bottom of your air box permanantly. Throttle reponse is great.
am_bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2004, 01:27   #2 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Re: Peltier Air Box

OK im lost what is it, got pics

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 01:33   #3 (permalink)

OK, i was expecting this, It's the same principal as those cooler fridges that plug in the cigerate lighter plug but in the form of the air filter air box, very cool :-P
Old 04-10-2004, 01:34   #4 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

peltier is a silicon devide which gets very cold one one side, and hot on the other when you apply a voltage to it, they are used commonly in extreme pc cooling solutions used by overclockers.
I guess what am_bad has done is put the cold side of the peltier in his airbox to cool the incoming air, interested to see how he is drawing the heat off the other side of the pelt tho.
It is somehting I had thought of, but did not think that the air would be in contact with the pelt for long enough to be cooled significantly before being drawn into the engine
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 01:36   #5 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

got pics im still lost.. Does that come in Kiwi lamen terms?

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 01:54   #6 (permalink)

Yep exactly what the donut king said, 2 heat sinks on either side and 1 fan blowing the cold air in the the other fan blowing the hot air away. A deffinant improvement. Took me all day to do, I done my road testing(ok only a couple of burnouts), now i'm stuffed, i hear the beers and footy calling so i'll do pics and that sort stuff tommorrow if anyones still interested.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:18   #7 (permalink)
'90 EA-II Fairmont

yep interested here, be interesting to see dyno difference (prolly not much) on a moderately warm day
Rosewood EAII Fairmont 02/90. MPFI 3.9L (formerly CFI), 4spd BTR Auto. Skyline geared 3.45g open center 28 spline 4 pinion differential & axles. 2 1/2" Cat Back Exhaust. King Super Low Springs. Sound: Equalization and amplification by Clarion; Head unit by Sony, Front, Rears and Sub by Pioneer. Planned mods - t5, Extractors, Painting Grey Strips and new front and rear bar.
SileNceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 03:16   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I'd be interested to see how you've done it.

I'm guessing you replaced a section of the airbox plastic with the Peltier cooler, mounted one heatsink on the inside and one on the outside of the box?

If so, where abouts have you put it? Only places I can think are the front of the box and the driver's side.

Be very interesting to see how much of an effect it has on it.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 05:55   #9 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Sounds very interesting, i looked at using a small car fridge liner, but woke up.
Can you give us an idea of costs, avalability, parts etc?
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 18:05   #10 (permalink)

Heres a pic of the peltier semi-conductor device mounted my air box. I pod K&N filter drops just in front of the fan, after a bout 45min of driving i've taken the top off and the metal bid on the pod is cold like a beer and the air box itself is noticably cool. Throttle reponse is improved not a huge, huge amount but a good amount and well worth it i thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peltier.jpg (91.3 KB, 136 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech