Ford Forums banner

Petrol smell under the bonnet

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ian_d 
#1 ·
My NA Fairlane 3.9 MPFI/dual-fuel has developed a distinct petrol pong aroud the vicinity of the fuel regulator (located at the back of the injector rail) mainly at the start of a run from cold, continuing for about 10 kms then it goes away. I have stopped often for a visual inspection with the engine running, but can't see any leak, any sign of petrol seepage. Has anyone got a theory on this?

#2 ·
my ea had something similar when i first bought it. turned out to be one of the fuel injection pipes having a fine split to it and dribbling the slightest amount of fuel onto the starter motor if i recall correctly. replaced for about $15 i think but i remember the old man was saying it was a pain in the arse to find. he followed all the hoses with a mirror and only found it by chance. probably doesnt help maybe get someone else to look over it. but leaking fuel should be looked at if its the case obviously. cheers. ian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.