PLEASE HELP! -High pitched whining buzzing noise when cold! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2004, 07:16   #1 (permalink)
Packed up and gone.....

frown PLEASE HELP! -High pitched whining buzzing noise when cold!

Hey guys, happy Easter.

Anyways, you all know how much I love my car, and its getting on 5 months now that i've had it, I treat her like a queen however suddenly, strange things are happening. and its breaking my heart.

for about 4 weeks now, when starting the car cold, Along with the engine/exhaust noise, the car is making this HIDEOUS loud High pitched whiney squeaky buzzing noise which changes pitch and becomes louder as the revs rise. Once the car warms up and's driven for a while (after about 15-20 mins of driving), the noise is gone. But until then, its really loud and frankly quite embarrasing.

When I open the bonnet to listen for the location of the noise it can't be heard from the engine bay, however listening from under the car the noise can be heard to be coming from behind the engine, somewhere around the gearbox area. Its strange and only can be heard when its cold so if I take it to a mechaninc, by the time I get there the bastard noise is gone.

Guys? Can anyone help me? Its annoying the shit outta me big time, as well as worrying me to the point i'm almost going grey! I dont know what it is... I've never heard anything like it before..... I hope someone out there knows what i'm on about.

Thanks fellas, I have faith that someone will help me get to the bottom of this......

-Daniel

You know who I am...
-Dan
XR6child is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2004, 07:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: PLEASE HELP! -High pitched whining buzzing noise when cold!

Could be your thrust race (on input shaft in gearbox). Does the noise change at all when you put your foot on the clutch?
shano6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:05   #3 (permalink)
Packed up and gone.....

It never goes away, but sometimes the clutch has a tiny tiny effect on the sound, only very minimal, then again, I might be trying to hear things....

You know who I am...
-Dan
XR6child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:35   #4 (permalink)
EFII Ghia owner

my ef is making a whinning sound, ive just found that its the brake pads rubbing on the disk, so im going to get the disks machined. dont know if its the same prob as yours though, as it happens all the time not just when its cold
EF_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 02:43   #5 (permalink)
He without "fastness"

maybe try and make sure that your belts arent slipping. mine makes a noise like that until the belts stop slipping and get traction.
SoulReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 04:17   #6 (permalink)

Are u using the right grade of oil in the motor???? How long since it has been changed. Its not the starter motor staying engaged is it???????
Falcon S, MPFI, red, Resprayed with colour coded bumpers, motorvator extractors, walker hi-flow cat, 2 & 1/2 exhaust system, cold air intake using hi-flow K&N pod filter (heat sheilded), stage 3 crow cam with a vernier cam timing gear. Severly ported and polished EB 4.0L head, shimmed valve springs - compression ratio (9.5:1 +). Making 145rwkw!!
Grant Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 04:59   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

If its manual make sure there is some slack in cable..Or the throw out bearing is always engaged and can stuff clutch as well...
Alternator bearings maybe on their way out ??
Enough power steering fluid in pump ??
Belts tight??
Nothing caught in fan?? Heater fan??
Mother inlaw???
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:49   #8 (permalink)
He without "fastness"

hehe mother in law.... the blanket problem that is the cause of everything bad
SoulReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:59   #9 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Does it go away as it warms up idling, or only if you drive it?
Any changes with different gears/driving styles?

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 17:48   #10 (permalink)

i had a similar kinda problem with my EB turned out i just needed to replace my harmonic balancer and idler bearing... but if u can hear it from underneath near the gearbox then proabaly not it
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech