Ford Forums banner

Please please help...

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  notty 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm new here :)

I have had a 66 mustang for about 3 weeks, and I have driven it twice. It is a 200ci coupe, Autolite 1100, new fuel tank, new Pertronix II ignition. When I first drove it home, it died 6 times. Here's what it does: When I slow down to to a stop (stop sign or red light) it will start "hiccuping" - I think it is missing. I then go to hit the gas, and it just dies. I put in new spark plugs and wires, and they are all gapped correctly. I rebuilt the carb last night, and put it in. All the hoses are hooked up, but it is doing the same thing. This time, I didn't drive it, but I revved it up, then let off the gas, and it just died.

If you have ANY suggestions, please just throw them in here. Heck, if you know a lot about engines and think you can solve it, I will pay you to come here and help :) :)

I have had about 4 guys over here but still no luck. We can't figure it out. Thanks

#3 ·
Sorry - I changed the coil and also took out the points and condenser and put in the new one (from Pertronix). I have not checked timing. When it's driving and I'm hitting the gas, it drives okay - but not from start. From start, it bogs down and then just sorta snaps with a lot of power. Other than that, I've only driven it twice because of this, so I'm not sure about it under load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.