*Please read!* WANTED JMM and Crow cam owners in brissy or coast!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2003, 06:15   #1 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

*Please read!* WANTED JMM and Crow cam owners in brissy or coast!!

i though i would post this in a seperate thread so more people would look at it...

the purpose of the following excercise is to directly compare the different available cams for the I6, on the same day in the same car on the same dyno, so we can all get a better idea of what cam works and what doesnt, and hence, spend our money in the most rewarding fashion possible.

ok heres the deal - i need two brissy or coast peoples: anyone with a Crow stage two and/or a JMM cam, DEV 3/4/5 whatever, or any other aftermarket cam you wish to supply. i will organise 3 or more dyno pulls on the same dyno on the same day in the same car to compare the outputs of the cams to a EB XR6 one, in a EB XR6.

i reckon i can get them done for maybe $50 each, and i will take a day off work to do them. one run in my car as it is (EB XR6 with JMM extractors and plugs, and a K&N pod) to get a base reading, then disconnect comp and put in someone elses cam, flog it round the block a few times to get the comp running right, then repeat the process.

i can get one stock cam right now, and another is no probs, so you can still drive your cars while i have your cams, and i will pay for one dyno run, take a day off work to do them, i will also swap your cams out of your cars then back in again, say, take them out on the sunday, dyno the car on monday and then put one cam back in on monday night and the other back in on tues.

of course i promise not to steal or damage your cams, you should all know by now how much i hate theives or disrespectful people, and luke (QLD E series falcon owners club rep) knows where i live and where i work. i will be happy to give you my address/ph number etc if you want me to.

i cant think of a more fair way to do it, who wants to cough up the dough and time to help settle this constant grumbling about this that and the other? im willing to donate two days of my time, $50 fopr one dyno run plus the shitloads of petrol my car will consume on the dyno etc, who else is gunna pay?

laminge has kindly offered to put $100 into the fund, though i really think that us QLDrs can manage to raise the $100 to complete the testing.

once the dyno runs have been done i will post up a full rundown on fordforums, complete with dyno printouts, figures etc, so everyone can benifit from the experience.

who is going to cough up a couple of bucks and/or a cam to help in my noble crusade? for the good of 70% of fordforums users?

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2003, 06:23   #2 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Why don't you approach Crow and JMM directly. They may both be willing to 'lend' you a cam for a day - you'll never know if you don't ask.

A good idea, and one that I hope comes off. The results should make interesting reading.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 06:26   #3 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

oh yeah, just checked my emails, Jim Mock motorsport sent me this:

Quote:
Rollin,

Cos I am unable to log on with FF.com Im sending you this….

This dyno testing you want to do isn’t an easy task…..Plus Ive done it already three times to prove to others the truth about the kits. Do it again if you wat, but the kits have to be complete, not just with some pacemakers and a few cams. It don’t work like that, specifics must be complied to, and that includes, fuel, timing and even the spark plugs.

Tell them also….

JMM dev 5 ef xr6 manual, 14.3 and 14.2 seconds on ¼ mile

My xr dev 5 auto, in 30 degree heat 15 flat…..will do 14.7 with some normal air.

On that same night, holdens all pulling 15.8 to 15.4 with the V8’s efi and Gen 3, and a Herrod ute, 220 kw black with huge wing on back was pulling 16.2 and a best of 15.8 secs…….

So a six cylinder doing all these cars…..HMMMMMMMMM sound about right to me……

OH yeah, tell em that we are doing the supercharger kit development now, and at 6 lb boost, 225 kw at rear, and more to come.

Hoping this all sinks in…..

Look forward to a reply.

Brenden MOCK
i have the JMM extractors, aftermarket cat, 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with one 2.5" straight through muffler (yeah its REALLY loud) JMM plugs, timing is set at 16 degrees base, though i think i will set it to 14 before any testing is done, car will be run on BP ultimate. fuel pressure will be as per factory EB XR6 (300kpa idle, 350kpa full throttle) all runs will be done with exactly the same timing and fuel settings, same tyre pressures, everything will be the same except the cam.

i am also going to book a dyno run a week or so beforehand to make sure the car is running right, timing and mixtures correct, etc, so all up this is going to cost me maybe $150 inc petrol and dyno time, plus one day off work, im on apprentice wages i cant be any more generous than that.

who is up for it?

Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
Old 03-20-2003, 08:18   #4 (permalink)
Dreamer

If i were in your part of the world i'd lend a hand, but seeing as im not, im very very interested in hearing the outcome of this test.

As for that email from Brenden, sounds interesting with the supercharger, wonder what else is done to make those figures.

Anyhow, keep us all posted
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 09:10   #5 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

In the interests of putting this issue to bed, because I am tired of reading threads full of claims and counter claims about the mocks work, I scanned a dyno graph from their advertisment in street machine which shows the dyno results of one of their cars at the springnats dyno shootout. I'd figure that the readings achieved in a dyno competition would probably be fairly accurate, and consistant results would be achieved. Here's the image anyhow, I guess you can make up your own minds from it.
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 14:31   #6 (permalink)

guys

i live i sydney so i wont be able to make it but would of liked to.

A 14.2 - 14.3 with a dev 5 installed dont sound that impressive, i suppose the 240 kw turbo baxr does 14.1 but its heavier then the e series and the au by at least 100kgs i would have thought 13.8 would have been good, but anyway i wonder what my dev 3 will do i was expecting maybe 14.8 but i guess the only way ill know is if i put it down the strip.

thanks

yldsix
yldsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 07:15   #7 (permalink)
I Love Forced Induction.

Dont bother about power these days its how its applied to the driveline then inturn to the ground, as i say agian my mates eb4.0l turbo auto made 180rwkw on 8psi, 3.45lsd 60ft2.0 ran 13.1@103mph. at calder the torque his car put out was awsome, now these jmm kits are good they make excelent power but you have to match the engine power to the driveline.
Old 03-21-2003, 19:59   #8 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

Quote:
A 14.2 - 14.3 with a dev 5 installed dont sound that impressive, i suppose the 240 kw turbo baxr does 14.1 but its heavier then the e series and the au by at least 100kgs i would have thought 13.8 would have been good,
you will find that a 240kW turbo car will sh*t all over a 240kW N/A car of the same weight etc, because the turbo car has bucketloads of midrange torque, and a higher 'average' acceleration across the rev range.

anyway, thats not the point.

who has a cam they can lend me!?!?!?!?!

Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
Old 03-22-2003, 00:40   #9 (permalink)
Now boostless :-(

hey rollin, i know it's not an EB cam but i have a big EF Crow cam that i haven't yet put in my car (EF 5 speed) that u could use if neccessary, also my car could be used as a test vehicle.
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 20:49   #10 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

i think a EF one will fit...how far north are you in NSW? where could we meet up, and when did you want to have the cam in your car by? if i can use your cam then i still need to find a JMM one to test on the same day...

thanks for your help in anticipation!

hey i just realised that now its entirely likely that all of my lifters are going to tick badly after i do all this swapping of cams...anyone know how to stop them ticking? they are fine at the moment but everyone seems to get ticking after swapping cams....

Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech