Which plug leads - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2004, 14:07   #1 (permalink)

Which plug leads

Hey guy's, I have a 99 AU and I'm thinking of changing the plug leads. Late last year Ford told me one of mine was showing high reistence and needed to be replaced (power & Idle would improve, they said) Some $70.00 odd dollars later I have new Ford leads and no change to the car. I'm wanting to know a good proven brand and approx price to see if this makes a difference, it may not, but I've heard that the Ford leads are not what you call quality and only have a short life! Can ya tell me anything?
Futura - Galaxy blue, XR mags, painted calipers, headlight & bonnet protectors, louvre, tow pack, Tickford snorkel, mesh grille, chrome inner handles and T-bar surround, chrome trim to console, some Ghia bits, lambswools, slimline shields, XR bumper and side moulding inlays (red) DBA slots to front, and coming to a post near you - blue dials,leather wheel, extractors, cold air upgrade, footwell lamps and whatever the budget allows
AU Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2004, 14:32   #2 (permalink)
registered sex maniac

Re: Which plug leads

well im running 9mm topguns in my el and they seem to work well.theye were in the car when i got it and its nearly time for new ones and i think ill go the same again..
ford freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 17:15   #3 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Re: Which plug leads

As far as I'm aware the Ford leads are actually very good quality and last a long time (I think they're Bosch - not absolutely sure on that tho). The original set on my car lasted about 7 years with no problem!!

In fact the only problems I've ever had with leads has happened since I replaced those original ones (for no better reason than after 7 years they'd have to be due for replacement, right?) and went with aftermarket ones.

The first replacement set I used were Top Gun and I had problems with the ends comming off. The second set were Bosch and I had no problem but I then replaced those with Repco ones with stainless steel spiral wire cores because they were supposed to be the ducks guts - but the number 4 lead died (took ages to work out that was the problem - symptom was blowing smoke after startup).

Now I've got another set of Top Gun leads (I actually ordered Bosch ones from my Brother but he gave me these - said the guy told him they were better <rolleye>). In fact, after about 7 months they're fine and this set don't have a problem with the ends comming off.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech