Ford Forums banner

Which plug leads

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  EDFUTURA 
#1 ·
Hey guy's, I have a 99 AU and I'm thinking of changing the plug leads. Late last year Ford told me one of mine was showing high reistence and needed to be replaced (power & Idle would improve, they said) Some $70.00 odd dollars later I have new Ford leads and no change to the car. I'm wanting to know a good proven brand and approx price to see if this makes a difference, it may not, but I've heard that the Ford leads are not what you call quality and only have a short life! Can ya tell me anything?

#3 ·
As far as I'm aware the Ford leads are actually very good quality and last a long time (I think they're Bosch - not absolutely sure on that tho). The original set on my car lasted about 7 years with no problem!!

In fact the only problems I've ever had with leads has happened since I replaced those original ones (for no better reason than after 7 years they'd have to be due for replacement, right?) and went with aftermarket ones.

The first replacement set I used were Top Gun and I had problems with the ends comming off. The second set were Bosch and I had no problem but I then replaced those with Repco ones with stainless steel spiral wire cores because they were supposed to be the ducks guts - but the number 4 lead died (took ages to work out that was the problem - symptom was blowing smoke after startup).

Now I've got another set of Top Gun leads (I actually ordered Bosch ones from my Brother but he gave me these - said the guy told him they were better <rolleye>). In fact, after about 7 months they're fine and this set don't have a problem with the ends comming off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.