which pod filter? and how? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2004, 17:36   #1 (permalink)
kung pow guitarist

which pod filter? and how?

i'm pretty keen to get a pod filter sometime in the near future for my ef. i was just wondering if certain brands are better or is the difference pretty marginal?

also, can i just attach it to the stock intake pipe (excuse my ignorance if i'm naming things wrongly) or am i better off getting a whole new one, because as far as i know the only difference would be that it looks cool to have a massive chrome pipe sitting under your bonnet.
rockerfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2004, 20:43   #2 (permalink)

Re: which pod filter? and how?

hey,

i installed a POD filter onto the ED (which isn't that different to EF) and the car felt a little bit strong in its acceleration.

i am sure there are adaptor kits for the POD. I bought the filter from AutoBarn when they had a discount sale.
partie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:00   #3 (permalink)

On my Ea, I put a K&N pod filter off a chrome bit of pipe. I know this is heaps different to an EF, but I couldn't do anything else really, as the tubing wasn't in the right place. Also, it is really only worth it if you extend the pod filter as far as possible to the front left hand guard tucked in behind the light, and then put a heat guard to reflect all the heat back onto the motor and not go near where it is sucking the air.
Falcon S, MPFI, red, Resprayed with colour coded bumpers, motorvator extractors, walker hi-flow cat, 2 & 1/2 exhaust system, cold air intake using hi-flow K&N pod filter (heat sheilded), stage 3 crow cam with a vernier cam timing gear. Severly ported and polished EB 4.0L head, shimmed valve springs - compression ratio (9.5:1 +). Making 145rwkw!!
Grant Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:48   #4 (permalink)
kung pow guitarist

thanks guys! one other thing though. how does the air intake connect to the pod? if at all?
rockerfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 00:06   #5 (permalink)

Your current plastic air intake system dissapears - air enters around the front left light.
Falcon S, MPFI, red, Resprayed with colour coded bumpers, motorvator extractors, walker hi-flow cat, 2 & 1/2 exhaust system, cold air intake using hi-flow K&N pod filter (heat sheilded), stage 3 crow cam with a vernier cam timing gear. Severly ported and polished EB 4.0L head, shimmed valve springs - compression ratio (9.5:1 +). Making 145rwkw!!
Grant Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 01:13   #6 (permalink)
kung pow guitarist

so it just takes the air around it then? or does it come with another intake? from what i've seen most people just have it sitting on the bottom half of the original airbox.

would it be more efficient to get an airbox for it that will attach to the original snorkel like this fella has?

or will it be enough to leave it as is and maybe put something up beside it to deflect any heat?
Old 05-12-2004, 02:15   #7 (permalink)

damn that xr6 turbo engine bay looks sweet pity all the piping is plastic and no turbo intercooled badging on rocker cover...

but looking at the pod filter setup it looks like its not gonna have any improvements because the pod is still covered up like a panel filter and having the air sucked into one small portion of the pod.

the great advantages with the pod is that it has a greater surface area to suck in air while the panel filters are limied by the snorkel...with the picture above..it looks like a waste of time puting that setup in
EAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 04:43   #8 (permalink)
.au member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAtom
looks like a waste of time puting that setup in

Mate that particular setup is the BEST Ford have - straight out of the US Mustang, and its good enough for GT's so it will handle an EF just fine!

That pic has the GT airbox setup modified to have a snorkel as well. XR6T's dont come like that from Factory.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:53   #9 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAtom
damn that xr6 turbo engine bay looks sweet pity all the piping is plastic and no turbo intercooled badging on rocker cover...

but looking at the pod filter setup it looks like its not gonna have any improvements because the pod is still covered up like a panel filter and having the air sucked into one small portion of the pod.

the great advantages with the pod is that it has a greater surface area to suck in air while the panel filters are limied by the snorkel...with the picture above..it looks like a waste of time puting that setup in
the picture is of jamie xr6's engine bay, i have the same pod filter setup on my au2 xr8 ute, the pod also has, apart from the snorkel intake, an intake taking in air from behind the headlights

Old 05-12-2004, 05:09   #10 (permalink)

damn falkeen your xr8 engine bay looks even better than the xr6t one and i love that snorkel painted silver
EAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech