Poor fuel economy on crow cam - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2003, 20:09   #1 (permalink)
Yes, fords still kick

Poor fuel economy on crow cam

Hi all,
Since I have installed a Stage 2 Crow Cam in my EB 4 litre I have been experiencing very poor fuel economy, and not the type of performance increase that you would expect either.
The performance has increased marginally, but not as much in my vehicle as I have seen other people quote with a similar setup.
My average fuel consumption is around 17.4 litres per 100 kms, which for an engine with only 105,000 kms on it is pathetic. The engine appears to be running slightly rich, and although I installed the cam with the help of my father I thought we did a reasonable job (obviously not). I have thought that maybe the timing needs adjustment, or I should have bought the optional vernier gear, but I am unsure of what that does exactly. Should I give Herrods a call and get them to look at it, or am I missing something simple? Any responses would be much appreciated as I am seriously considering putting the factory cam back in if I can't get some improvement. (Or selling and getting something that actually performs)

HELP

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2003, 02:47   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

it sound's like the valve timing is out. The vernier gear allows you to adjust the valve timing from the dial on the front of the engine.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 19:02   #3 (permalink)
Yes, fords still kick

Thanks for the advice, thats kinda what I was thinking, any ideas on prices for the vernier gear?
Old 05-16-2003, 23:08   #4 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Wouldn't you need to reset the computer as well???
Old 05-17-2003, 01:04   #5 (permalink)
Yes, fords still kick

Yeh all I did was disconnect battery then reconnect it 30 mins later, I thought that was all I could do in terms of reseting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech