Possible EA MPFI Computer Problems - Any ideas??? Long post, appologies in advance. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2003, 01:58   #1 (permalink)
R.I.P S/C EBII Fairmont

Question Possible EA MPFI Computer Problems - Any ideas??? Long post, appologies in advance.

I'm not certain if it's the computer, but I know that my car has a couple of issues. Firstly, it appears to be running rich. I only ever run her on premium unleaded, and since I had a brand new head fitted in October, she appears to be spitting out the exhaust, a combination of petrol, mixed with some black (carbon looking) muck whenever I start her up (especially when she is started up for the first time in the day). My fuel economy isn't too bad, I get around 440 km's per tank. My mechanic told me to go and see a friend of his after new years to get him to take a look at the computer.

Secondly, for a while now, whenever I plant the accelerator to the floor the revs play up. The revs climb to around 3,000 and then stay there. The only way I can get them to rise (so that I can get my car to move faster :) ) is to manually shift down gears. Even when I leave it in drive and back off the accelerator, the revs barely move. I can be travelling at 100 km/hr and revving at 3,000. I'm not sure if this could be a transmission issue or not. I plan to convert to manual sometime in 2004 as my auto is a bit slow and clunky. This is frustrating the **** out of me! It's impossible to drag at the lights now (up to the speed limit of course), unless I don't mind giving the other car a head start (since the revs have no trouble climbing to 4,500+ when I slowly plant the foot, which effectively makes the race pointless). I've tried taking my foot off the accelerator and shifting into neutral, then shifting back to drive. Unfortunately this hasn't seemed to solve the problem. Strangely enough, I can be travelling at 100 and doing 3,000 for 5 mins or more, and all of a sudden the revs drop to normal (around 1,800) without me doing anything.

I haven't had the computer checked since I had my car converted to MPFI (and I am certain that the computer that is being run at the moment is not the original CFI unit, it is a MPFI computer). My uncle who isn't a ford person suggested it could have something to do with the TPS, oxygen sensor or computer.

I want to be able to get these problems sorted out in the early new year. I'm going up north on Friday, and get back late next week so I won't have access to my computer. Hopefully by then, some of you more mechanically minded guys might have some ideas. I want my baby cured of her problems soon, so her true potential can shine at the lights. :)
j_biafra88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2003, 15:10   #2 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Re: Possible EA MPFI Computer Problems - Any ideas??? Long post, appologies in advance.

Richness, I suggest might be the thermostat or temp. sensor as other possibilities.
What you describe with the revs does *sound* like an auto problem, however I might ask you a few questions :)
First, does this happen at all out of gear? And do you mean the revs stick, or just that they won't go any higher.
Personally I'd be VERY surprised if it's the computer, they never die. However, in order to be sure, I'll swap the computer over if you want, I have more on the shelf, and that'll at least tell us if its that or not.
Oh and yes, it is a MPFI computer - the CFI ones won't idle an multipoint setup :)

Alex

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 00:32   #3 (permalink)
R.I.P S/C EBII Fairmont

Re: Possible EA MPFI Computer Problems - Any ideas??? Long post, appologies in advance.

I just spoke to my uncle about my thermostat, and he reckons that they shouldn't move. With my old thermostat, the dial would not move when I accelerated, whereas with my new one, the dial moves all the time depending on how my car is driven. My mechanic is under the impression that my dial should move. What is correct? My uncle says that if the thermostat is constantly moving, the mixture will change, hence resulting in richness...I'm confused to say the least.
j_biafra88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 01:16   #4 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

The petrol spluttering out at startup is possibly cause the injectors are leaking. When they get a bit old, they don't quite seal perfectly any more. If you leave it sitting there over night, a little petrol trickles into the cylinders. When you turn it over, this gets forced out the exhaust. That would be my best guess, cause if it were rich, it'd have to be ****ING rich to splutter petrol right the way down the exhaust, and also this would continue the entire time you drove. You would not get anywhere near 440km / tank, if it were that rich, either.
Old 12-25-2003, 22:29   #5 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

search around on here for how to diagnose your computer or go buy a car manual for about 27 bucks.
This will check all your sensors and tell you if anything to do with the ECU is the problem
Does sound like an issue with the ECU controller for the Auto or possibly the auto's TPS
Yep so it's a series II EA it still has a second TPS for the Auto I'd say this is stuffed but go do a code read first as this will tell you everything.
Good Luck.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech