problem I've had 4 a while - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2005, 09:13   #1 (permalink)

problem I've had 4 a while

I had a slight crack in my cylinder head so I decided to change it. Only to find my car runs shithouse afterwards!!! Its idling like the timing is retarded so I guess I must have let it slip a tooth!!! I had a quick look at the timing mark on the sprocket that goes onto the cam and lined it up to the right side of the head and found that the bottom marking was about 3 degree's out. so I moved it around the other way!!!! It then seemed to be 3 degrees out on the other side!!so I just figured it was normal to be off a little! I thought it was the dizzy,leads or plugs so I changed all them. I am thinking it could be the head.... or the timing is badly out.... I really want to know how far the base timing can be out before it starts to play around with the car!!! The car idles funny like its got a very slight miss at idle.... anyone wanna try and pin point me in the right direction?
EB 5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2005, 13:18   #2 (permalink)

Re: problem I've had 4 a while

I think you're talking about cam timing not ignition when you say 3 degrees!?

They both need to be right; especially cam timing. Ring a mechanic or borrow/buy a book.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 09:44   #3 (permalink)

I am talking about the cam timing. What performance woe's should I expect if this is out? I do have the gregories manaul which seems to go into in depth instructions on setting the timing! I dont have a lot of time so if its not going to give me my power pack then I dont want to adjust it as it seems like a shit of a job. The motor just doesnt want to rev out like it use too. not sure if I mentioned this in my last post but the car has an EA head on it now instead of the EB 4.0 head. I thought this should increase compression giving more power!!!! How much better is the eb head over an ea one

Thanks
Old 10-18-2005, 20:05   #4 (permalink)

hey timing could prob is ur issue but having the ea head on an eb will make it difficult to get the timing marks all right and the ea head has slightly smaller valves could also b why u dont have the high end anymore
dje4Leb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 04:24   #5 (permalink)

alright thanks. Do you think I could get away with just moving the top camshaft sprocket around a tooth or am I talking damage here? I think its slipped a tooth on one of the lower sprockets hence why its out!!! It will be a while before I get a change to take the timing cover off!!!

really regretting buying this ea head!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech