Problems with EX-taxis? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2004, 21:39   #1 (permalink)
sideways in a six

Problems with EX-taxis?

Mornin' boys,

I've been reading up on pretty much anything relating to falcons in the hunt for my first car. Just today I found an ex-taxi EL for sale for $2500, with 350 000k's, running LPG.

Can anybody think of any problems that come from taxi use, although I thought 350 000k's isn't a lot, right? I don't really care much about the engine's condition as that won't be standard for too long :) and once I (very slowly) get the cash together to mod the thing, let alone buy it, I'm planning on changing most of the driveline - manual, XR LSD, etc.

What do you think - anything to watch out for or is it just a good bargain?
meethed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2004, 03:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: Problems with EX-taxis?

I've been reading up on pretty much anything relating to falcons in the hunt for my first car. Just today I found an ex-taxi EL for sale for $2500, with 350 000k's, running LPG.

What do you think - anything to watch out for or is it just a good bargain?

Well m8 i got a ex taxi as well at x'mass time and the things i looked at was stress in the quarter panals and in the front where the engine is ...... other then that i just layed car carpet in it fixed the paint (FORD devil yellow ) and a new dash as the old 1 had a heap of holes in it and the speedo from 834,000 to 78,000 was a bonus :) things like rotors and struts are cheap ... taxis get a r.w.c. every 6 mths after they are 2 years old so most times they are in ok condition but still waste some of your cash first and get a r.w.c. done before you buy it mine was $1,000 and i got it out of the trading post i had a good look first and it turned out a realy great buy
Old 09-19-2004, 03:33   #3 (permalink)
Con

350 000km is low for an extaxi
there are always a few up for auction on ebay if you want to compare prices.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 05:45   #4 (permalink)
Swanny

My EL has about 520k on it, I've refitted the gas connections, had to replace the coil, and the air con compressor chucked a bearing. Mechanically, it's been a great car, because the place I bought it from services their fleet every 3 weeks. Other taxi owners I know go by the "fix it when it's broke" theory, and it shows, when you drive their cars!
ELwilldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 22:11   #5 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

i wouldnt buy an ex cab car as a first car if u want to do it up... it will always be an ex cab.. people just hang it on ya .. i owned an ea extaxi and never had any trouble, but i braught an eb2, with 160,000 km on it and wow 2 totally different cars
3.7 lsd
AU bottem end
ELXR6 ported Head
PH4480 Pacemakers
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech