radiator - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2004, 15:02   #1 (permalink)
commyeater

radiator

hey everyone, im very poor and cheap, hehe can i fill my radiator(which is empty) with normal water insted of forking out money for the inhibitor or coolent, cheerz.. also where can i find this inhibitor and wat price im looking at, i need to use motorcraft R1-3 (says that in the greggorys manual). but basically i just dont want to overheat.. water wont ruin it will it? i mean thats wat they use to use in older cars (dat is wat my mummy sed) hehe thanx
Carl
amniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2004, 15:31   #2 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Re: radiator

Water will corrode the water lines around your head over time. If you're going to be cheap now, it will just cost you money in the future ie. Blown head gasket. Just buy 10 litres of Pre-Mix coolant. Shouldnt cost you over $50 bucks.
Old 09-20-2004, 16:03   #3 (permalink)
commyeater

thanx, if i use water, will the hed be good for like 3-4 months? thats all i need.. cheerz
Carl
Old 09-20-2004, 17:31   #4 (permalink)

The head gasket and the head and christ knows what else will be ruined in that time .
Ask your mum for some pocket money and but some inhibitor from Supercheap or somewhere. Nulon make a good one but there are some that are cheaper.
dognamedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 19:51   #5 (permalink)
commyeater

ok heres my story.. went out and bought some inhibitor/coolent stuff, mixed it correctly to fill my radiator, as it is empty. anyway i was about half way filling it when it would take no more, so i try to start my car(thiniking it might "make more room") anyway, i gave a turn of the key and it kicked over but didnt start (this is normal for my car) turned it again and it kicked over and stopped-very suddenly like sumthing was holding it back. i was like oh shit.. so i assumed the worse, i thought maybe it has a leak in the hed gasket? so i drained the radiator again ans have just kept trying to start it, but this time it turns over but sounds like battery is flat. i tried jumpering it and it still wont start.. checked the oil dip stick for any water and there was none.. i am quite puzzled.. wat do i do? i really dont want to take it to a mechanic etc.. thanx
Carl
Old 09-20-2004, 22:15   #6 (permalink)

Try wiggling the cables around the starter motor or the battery , typical sign of a bad/corroded connection when it produces a bit of power then dies off.
Shortcircuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 22:39   #7 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

What car is this?
Old 09-20-2004, 23:02   #8 (permalink)
commyeater

its a 1989 EA falcon cfi..
Old 09-21-2004, 06:19   #9 (permalink)

OK, the reason you have all the additives in your coolant is that some people think you need something to stop the water -- note that, WATER -- boiling in summer and freezing in winter. The cheap (and nasty) solution is ethylene glycol.

BUT, EG degrades with the extreme conditions in motors, to give corrosive byproducts. SO, you now need anticorrosion additives... Do a search on your fave engine for "ethylene glycol" to see the disaster. This is why you MUST change (preferably with a flush) your coolant AT LEAST every 12 months. Some older formulations need every 6 months.

One environmental result of this corrosion is the heavy metals washed out of the engine into the ground when you drain the radiator... This is also the reason you cannot drink the coolant when dying of thirst in the Simpson Desert...

The truth is that no place in Oz gets hot enough for well-maintained systems to overheat, and most places in Oz never get cold enough to freeze the system in less than 12 hours -- even in Canberra or Hobart. For snow-type winters, enclosed carports are more than sufficient to keep the cold out, or simply throw a blanket over the donk UNDER the hood when you get home.

OOPS! Nearly forgot: EG is basically an alcohol. If you have even the tiniest perforation in your heater matrix the EG vapour will intoxicate you as effectively as a shot of Jack Daniels. It will show up on the breathalyser just like a VB, and in the BA sample like a bottle of plonk. Ever wondered about "single-car accidents" in the sticks at night? Now you know.

It is true that some water WILL cause corrosion in your head. Water ain't water. However, there are many good non-EG formulations around which can be added and will keep your system like new. In the past I have asked people to email me to get the name of one product made in Perth, but I'm getting lazy:

It is Flo-Kleen, available from Balcatta Radiators (08 9345 3122), 216 Balcatta Road, Balcatta 6021 WA. It costs about $30 for a bottle of 100 tablets, which should last for 24-30 months.

Disclaimer: I neither make nor sell the stuff. I use it, and I will never use EG again in any vehicle for any reason. Oh yes -- I use tap water.

Amniac -- if your system leaks, which it sounds like, don't bother with additives. Just use straight water, as it won't stay around long enough to do damage.
gordon451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech