Ford Forums banner

Reconditioning - your advice

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  EBXR 
#1 ·
Can anyone recommend an Engine Reconditioner in Sydney or NSW South Coast?

I'm looking to have an EA 3.9L MPI engine reconditioned. I'm tempted to try it myself, but I don't really have the facilities or time.

Some questions:

1. If you can't recommend anyone, have you had a bad experience with anyone?

2. What should I be paying to have the engine reconditioned - long motor? Not hotted up - just reconditioned.

3. Any advantage in exchange versus reconing my own motor?

4. How much for fitting?

I have an engine in the EA which has done 234 000 km, doesn't chew oil, overheat, etc. Oil pressure is low when she has been for a run, so i presume the bearings are on their way out. Otherwise it's a damn good motor.

I'm planning to buy another engine from a forum member, and have that reconditioned. Shortly after, I will replace the old engine for a recon job. I'm then thinking about reconing the old motor over some time, but doing a lot of it myself & getting it peformance modded for future use.

All advice appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
The only thing I can comment on is 3.
An exchange motor is a lot more timely, generally same day drive in/drive out. The only down side is that you need to change your engine no. details with the rego authourities, and with your insurance company.

Have you tried a thicker oil or an oil additive for the motor to see if that makes any difference to your oil pressure? Is the gauge faulty at all??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.