Ford Forums banner

Replacement timing chain and setting timing..

21K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  eafairmontghia 
#1 ·
I went to a mechanic today and he reckons that apart from changing all the usual service parts that you can't do anything else in terms of giving it a tune-up.. I would assume that you can set the timing or something...

Also what's the cost to replace a timing chain? I am thinking of getting it changed if the lifter noise turns out to be the timing chain. I am getting a compression test on Tuesday so I should know the state of the motor after then...

Dan..

#2 ·
Hey dan... take the rocker cover off and check the chain tension... they can stretch apparently. Timing chain rattle is alot different to lifter tap. The only way u can 'tune' a car is to get the fuel & ign map changed on yer ECU..

Brent

#4 ·
Can't you change the base timing? I mean the TDC and IGN marks are there so wouldn't a mech be able to use a timing gun to check this? I don't know too much about this on newer cars - I've done it on an old 202 a while ago and the marks are the same..

Either way when it goes in on Tuesday I'll ask the guy working on it...

Dan...

#6 ·
i was under the impression that u only need to adjust the timing chain if it has skipped cogs.......?

me and my bro are doing up an 81 courier and it had severe timing chain rattles, turns out the timing chain guides were rooted, and the chain was rebounding off the worn guides, the block and the casing which was the rattleing noise we heard

of course with the worn guides the chain didnt have as much tension on it as it should so it skipped teeth on the cogs so in the end we also had to adjust the chain again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.