Ford Forums banner

Replacing Timing Chain Cover gasket

11K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Aussiblue 
#1 ·
My timing chain cover is leaking some oil so obviously the gasket will need to be replaced. It seems pretty straight forward except for perhaps the crankshaft balancer? Will this be a pain in the ass to remove and re-install? Is there anything else I should watch out for?

Thanks for any help in advance:s2:

#2 ·
It's a pain....

.... if it's on your ED. You have to either remove the head or the sump (and to do the latter you need to remove the engine). You also have to take care to put a bead of RTV selant where the cover meets the head. It's also worth buying a harmonic balancer remover installer if you don't want to risk your bearings or cranshaft seal. Have fun,:s2:

#4 ·
no worries with the head still in place, & the balancer can be pulled once the radiator is removed along with the alternator & aircon comp.
just loosen the sump bolts so that there is clearance to pull the cover off.
The only real hassle you may have is the timing chain tensioner. I found it easy on a friends car with the aid of a 3mm inhex socket

#5 ·
Thanks guys!, although it sounds like too much effort than im willing to spend. (thanks Ford for designing such a work friendly engine:p :dead: :angry: )
I think I may just give it a good clean and apply a bead of silicone around the around the edge of the timing cover....

Its not a big leak, as the oil on the dipstick hasnt moved since I last changed the oil (4000kms)

#7 ·
No theres no oil coming from the head, its as dry dingo's donger on the block, its just around the timing cover where theres oil.

#8 ·
Yes; they do either normally leak around the rubber "gasket" between the head and the cover, at the timing cover bolts or at the head itself. I've had all three issues on the NB Fairlane. A pinhole in the front of the head on that weld seam that you can see inside the head half way down the head in front where the timing chain is (some of that plastic metal bog stuff fixed that) on the bolts that go through the cover into the oilways (master pipe sealant on the bolts fixed that) and on that rubber gasket (that always seems to start leaking eventually). It was interesting when I lifted the motor out recently that the gap between the head and the timing cover noticabley opened up a few more mm while it was on the crane; the head seems to bend away from the cover under the weight of the engine; perhaps it would be wise to always put the head back on when the engine is back in the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.