Rough Idle and Acceleration - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2004, 00:55   #1 (permalink)

Question Rough Idle and Acceleration

Hi guys, can anyone tell me if a sick coil pack or cat can cause an irregular miss in idle and acceleration. I've replaced leads (Ford factory), IAC unit, air cleaner, oxygen sensor, spark plugs (Bosch standard), fuel filter, as well as drive belt, thermostat. all hoses etc. I run premium fuel, usually Shell or BP. Or maybe it's something else. Any ideas where to look. Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers
98 AU Futura 6cyl auto. XR8 mags, front DBA slotted rotors, rear spoiler, louvre, towbar, grille mesh, Tickford snorkel, painted rocker cover, Fairlane leather wheel, blue dials, chrome inside door handles, chrome cup holder, XR blue/black leather T-bar shift handle, front lambswools, Ford tow pack, dash mat, rear console and front footwell lamps, slimline weather shields.
BLUAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2004, 01:00   #2 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

Re: Rough Idle and Acceleration

I did everything you mentioned plus more....in the end I had a leak test by ford and found a leaky head.Get a leak test to remove doubt of head gasket leak.And get injectors cleaned.Also despite popular opinion I have found premium fuel makes your spark plugs go orange and foul up due to additives . I am still yet to find which brand is crap so stick to one brand.
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 01:08   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
I did everything you mentioned plus more....in the end I had a leak test by ford and found a leaky head.Get a leak test to remove doubt of head gasket leak.And get injectors cleaned.Also despite popular opinion I have found premium fuel makes your spark plugs go orange and foul up due to additives . I am still yet to find which brand is crap so stick to one brand.
Thanks for that dude. Actually I forgot to mention that I had the injectors removed and professionally cleaned. If I did have a leaky head gasket, what sort of dollars would this set me back. Thanks
98 AU Futura 6cyl auto. XR8 mags, front DBA slotted rotors, rear spoiler, louvre, towbar, grille mesh, Tickford snorkel, painted rocker cover, Fairlane leather wheel, blue dials, chrome inside door handles, chrome cup holder, XR blue/black leather T-bar shift handle, front lambswools, Ford tow pack, dash mat, rear console and front footwell lamps, slimline weather shields.
BLUAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 01:36   #4 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Just as a matter of reference I just had the head replaced with a reco'd head, new spark plugs, VRS kit ( obviously ) new coolant, pressure test for $1040.00 drive in drive away.
Its not all that difficult to do it yourself IF you have the tools...and time

I had a misfire at idle, which got worse - started to lose coolant after about a weak

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 21:08   #5 (permalink)

my mum had the same thing happen to her car... new coilpack and she was flyin again... !!!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech