a run in with chip ripoff on ef (in my opinion) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2004, 23:03   #1 (permalink)

a run in with chip ripoff on ef (in my opinion)

my ef series 2 was chiped with a aparently respected name company in nerang gold coast the story is like this. the car was dropped of one morning i could not stay and watch as it was workplace health and safty that i couldnt stay in the dyno room (fair enough) i was told they would fix the economy, the gear changes ( stay in each gear to higher rev), maybe increase hp, better idle. when the car was ready to pick up they showed me the dyno readout with before and after chip showing hp@rw and fuel air mixture.
25hp more at rear wheels and a much better line on fuel air mix. so sure of himself it was great improvement they took the car for a drive before i got there and it was to be expected performance. by the way they said we didnt leave bonnet down with my cold air induction system on the bonnet so effectivly it was useless ok i said thinking do they know. now driving the car arround i watched the fuel guage drop arround the gold coast (working it out it was less than 5km/l (normally 6.5-7km/l) and thats not hard driving give it a stab and you could smell fuel. next item of concern was that on the way back to rockhampton at 100-110km/h it would drop in and out in and out of overdrive i had to put it into economy mode to keep it in top gear (overdrive) by day 3 i am thinking this is no good i ring them up and say. they did not at all sound concerned that there great chip is a heap off Sh#t (excuse me for saying) they just may as well yauned at me, and they just said send it back for a refund minus the dyno time (??????) now i am thinking they are a rip off. i belive they gave me a preprogrammed chip off same model that has same specs which they wanted to know everything when i left it. fair enough it may help them to tune it. but the other cars i bet never had an intake like mine on the bonnet which unless someone can tell me otherwise if my intake was different to another my computer would feed fuel differently to the others because of the air flow difference. the only thing i notiched was the idle was very smooth. i didnt notice 25hp difference you think you would at the wheels. thats a big jump at the wheels. the minute i pulled the chip out it was a great improvement on econ, gear changes, power ?????? and the only bad was loosing a good idle but i didnt spend that much for a good idle. now they only need to tell a couple of people in a day they have done this even if they get the chip returned because they have just ripped you off $225 dollars not refundable dyno time $595 for the chip( how many people needed in one day to pay there wages doing this) has anyone else had this sort of experience?? i would love to know. typical thing that i must look like one of them people that have dumb F#@k written on my forehead. the only thing i dont touch on the car myself is gearbag.

ANYONE PLEASE ??????????????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1bonnetscoop.JPG (42.9 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg 1throtlebody.JPG (48.1 KB, 327 views)
davowasere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2004, 00:08   #2 (permalink)

Re: a run in with chip ripoff on ef (in my opinion)

Really hard read Davo but I get the picture.

I think its the tuner not the chip thats the problem.

Did they show you or give you the before and after dyno sheets?

Post em up if you can.

It sounds expensive to fix the idle. The auto change points can be moved around easily but only at 0%, 40% and 100% throttle settings from the TPS so at higher speeds where you need more than 40% throttle it can easily kick down to third. I am not sure if thats what you wanted but they can change it for econmy and normal or leave economy alone.

I think you need to talk to the chip manufacturer and see whether he would like to get involved and help out here.

I think they have to be prepared to get it right and not expect for you to pay for them to learn to tune a chip.
Old 11-08-2004, 00:31   #3 (permalink)
Harry Be Kewell

damn. would be pissed.

i just got a unichip install. its great. no problems at all with it. extra 10 kw at the wheels to. feels fair bit quicker.
Kewell_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 00:43   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays

Did they show you or give you the before and after dyno sheets?

Post em up if you can.

It sounds expensive to fix the idle. The auto change points can be moved around easily but only at 0%, 40% and 100% throttle settings from the TPS so at higher speeds where you need more than 40% throttle it can easily kick down to third. I am not sure if thats what you wanted but they can change it for econmy and normal or leave economy alone.

I think you need to talk to the chip manufacturer and see whether he would like to get involved and help out here.

I think they have to be prepared to get it right and not expect for you to pay for them to learn to tune a chip.
yes they did give me a dyno sheet i will try to get it here soon tonight or tomorrow. the gear change was surpose to be higher but as i said it was to high as 100-110km/h was just on the gear change point. as per my pics on this page i tried my throtle body on a 90degree turn but i found it better the standard way blows that idea in the cold air induction section.
Old 11-08-2004, 00:52   #5 (permalink)

geez thats bit of a worry, as someone else said hopefully its the tuner not the product. without name dropping i guess its the chip place in Lawrence drive Nerang.
Old 11-08-2004, 00:54   #6 (permalink)
XR82GO

I know exactly who you are refering to and i can say i have 100% faith in them in past dealings with my e-series and will use them again now on my xr8.

Perhaps you need to call them and ask what the problem could be and how they might be able to rectify it. But If you already rang them and told them their chip is a heap of Sh!t, I wouldn't be very interested either...

EDIT:
After looking at those pics of your intake I would be extremly suprised if they would make much difference at all on the dyno. But at speed they most certianly would.

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 02:11   #7 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

i just got a unichip install. its great. no problems at all with it. extra 10 kw at the wheels to. feels fair bit quicker.

Ditto on the unichip product and tuner. All good here.

I prob would have given the tuners a chance to redeem themself before going off at them. People make mistakes.
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 02:49   #8 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays

I think this advice is the best way for you to get satisfaction.The chip installers you went to sound like a bunch of DERBRAINS!!!!!
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 03:58   #9 (permalink)
Yes, fords still kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
I think this advice is the best way for you to get satisfaction.The chip installers you went to sound like a bunch of DERBRAINS!!!!!
Haha, derbrains, I haven't heard that word since primary school. As for the chip, definately give them a chance to redeem themselves. What sort of chip was used and why do you think it is just a pre-programmed one off the shelf? BTW your intake has started me thinking, was it difficult to cut that hole and what sort of shaker thing are you using?
Old 11-08-2004, 04:01   #10 (permalink)

i think a few of you that have read this have missed the point if they know what they are doing the dyno sheet would have shown them that there was fuel pouring out the exhaust and the sheets would refect what the problem is, it dont. they showed me the power increase in the top lines blue being after chip was installed the bottom lines is air fuel mix the blue being after the chip installed. now acording to the sheet the fuel mix has backed off all the way through the rev range. now owning the car for three years i know what the fuel guage drops like when driven in different manners and with the chip in it did not reflect what they said and showed me on the sheets???????????????

they said and the sheet shows increase in econ.... ???????
less than 5km/l after chip 6.5-7km/l without???????????
do you really think i said directly to them it was sh#t. nno. they had no answer just the comment send it back, no. ge, what could it be? didnt want to know me. bit hard to go back and see them when you live 700km or so away.
sorry i cant download the image of my dyno chart as it is 243kb the limit for file size is under 150kb i need to learn how to decrease its size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech