Running in engine (applies to all 4 strokes) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2005, 05:21   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Running in engine (applies to all 4 strokes)

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This is why Porsche runs their engines on the bench before they go into the car- 8 minutes at full throttle (hitting limiter the whole time). Then, when they do finally get into the car, its flogged on the autobahn by porche test drivers for about 15- 30 mins. More people need to know about this.
It has confirmed suspiscions that I've had for a long time.
Perhaps one of the mods would like to make this a sticky if it is deemed worthy...
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2005, 06:48   #2 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Re: Running in engine (applies to all 4 strokes)

Damn good read that...
Cheers.

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 16:28   #3 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

whats everyones thoughts on this process
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 23:31   #4 (permalink)

Interesting stuff, though I don’t think I necessarily subscribe to all of what is being said, at least for the average road car which is what I work on. In any case, access to dynos is limited to most of us. I have seen video though of F1 engines being “run in” on a test bed. Much like Dr. Porsche, it’s birth by fire with full throttle surges up to 16 or 18,000 rpm and plenty of stirring on a sort of gearstick by the operator. The engines screamed and twisted violently on the test bed, and I could see the huge amounts of fuel being poured in the inlet trumpets. It’s a wonder the engines stay together! It’s not so long ago that revs of that order could only be attained by model aeroplane motors!

I’ve rebuilt lots of engines and this is my way of running in. I don’t thrash them, but neither do I baby them during the initial running in phase. I prime them well with oil and fuel before hitting the starter, and generally they fire up first or second attempt. After checking for leaks etc. it’s off out onto the road for running in. I don’t let them stand idling excessively before heading out, that’s a recipe for glazing of bores. I accelerate them moderately on the flat and on hills up to high mid revs (3,000 – 4000) in bursts, and then I let the speed drop back without braking. I’ll keep this going for at least 30 mins., driving the car in different ways, but extending the stress a bit more each time. The worst thing to do is to cruise along at the same speed without making the engine work.

The theory I subscribe to is that the engine must be made to work in order to bed in (mainly) the rings, but not be stressed so much as would build up excessive heat in the critical areas due to friction, and possibly damaging these components. That’s why the car is driven in bursts, to allow the engine to work and then to dissipate the heat generated by the new components rubbing together. A new engine will always produce more heat than a sloppy old worn out one, that’s why the cooling system must be 100% with a new engine.

As far as oils go for running in, the simpler the better. You don’t want the best slippery oil on the market, you want something rather basic that while it will lubricate, will permit some rubbing together of moving parts to allow them to bed in. Basic SAE30 (running in oil) does the job real well for 1,000 k’s. Then switch to a good quality NON friction modified multigrade oil. I have yet to be convinced that FM oils, in whatever guise they are sold (tungsten magnaxxxx etc) are any better than a good quality multigrade. More likely that they will cause problems by not allowing parts to bed in as they should. Remember all the problems with early Commodores (why am I not surprised) and a certain brand of FM oil that sponsors V. Bray! I won’t use them.

And, doing running in this way, I’ve never had a car (engine, that is) one come back with problems. That’s my 10 cent’s worth!
fordboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 03:33   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon

This is why Porsche runs their engines on the bench before they go into the car- 8 minutes at full throttle (hitting limiter the whole time). Then, when they do finally get into the car, its flogged on the autobahn by porche test drivers for about 15- 30 mins. More people need to know about this.
Perhaps one of the mods would like to make this a sticky if it is deemed worthy...
Hmm. Many modern engines stay "tight" for thousands of kms, which I suspect is partly due to the time it takes for the rings to bed in. If anyone would like to try this running in method on their next new car, please let us know how you get on.

I'm intrigued that many new cars don't require an oil change until 15,000 kms plus. Is there anything unusual/special about the factory fill oil?
BA_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 16:13   #6 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon

That would partially explain the price they charge

Can you show where you got that Porsche info from?
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 20:26   #7 (permalink)

Unforunately not about the bench running. Thats something that has come out of uni from someone even more fanatical about cars than me. I have heard/seen many reviews however that talk about the option to have the car factory run in. If you really want them, start reading back-issues of motor or wheels etc and lookin at car related websites. I know I've seen it and heard it more than once.
Perhaps this may not apply to Falcon 6's tho- the ones with the BBM achieve 100% volumetric efficiency at 3000rpm due to the tuned intake runners. (Note where the peak torque is on EF-AU3) This would mean maximum cylinder pressure is at approx 3000rpm if gas temperatures weren't taken into account. At high revs, the intake air has very little time to warm up, therefore a denser mixture gets into the chamber where it is finally heated and expands. This could, perhaps, produce even higher cylinder pressures.
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 20:47   #8 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

I have been told that all vehicle manufacturers break in thier engines on a bench tester, but I have no proof.

I did find some info on the Porsche, which states bench testing engine under full load, nothing about hitting the rev limiter which sounds dangerous as the fuel & timing is retarded when this happens.
They then assemble the vehicle & do a complete vehicle 5 - 6km test on a dynometer then a 1km road test.
http://www2.uk.porsche.com/english/g...ly/default.htm
http://www2.uk.porsche.com/english/g...ly/default.htm
http://www2.uk.porsche.com/english/g...ea/default.htm
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 23:43   #9 (permalink)

ive always been told when running in motorbikes, start, let it idle shortly, in neutral blip the throttle a few times to half throttle
then ride it at half throttle for half a tank of fuel, then do it again a bit more throttle till eventually you are wide open, and use premium, and if its a fourstroke, put a bit of two stroke oil in the fuel.

King spring super lows, monroes all round(also planning on getting a whiteline suspension kit, the works)

2 1/5 inch sports pipe
k&n filter insert (do not buy this, it is really worthless)
eb gt bodykit in respraying process, looking to go on soon minus spoiler.
looking for a set of s/h rims.

IF ANYONE HAS A BOOT LIP SPOILER THEY DONT WANT......
3bfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:39   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordboy98
In any case, access to dynos is limited to most of us. I have seen video though of F1 engines being “run in” on a test bed. Much like Dr. Porsche, it’s birth by fire with full throttle surges up to 16 or 18,000 rpm and plenty of stirring on a sort of gearstick by the operator. The engines screamed and twisted violently on the test bed, and I could see the huge amounts of fuel being poured in the inlet trumpets. It’s a wonder the engines stay together! It’s not so long ago that revs of that order could only be attained by model aeroplane motors!
The huge amounts of fuel seen is an effect known as standoff. You will always get a mist above the trumpet when the injector is in or above it. The gearstick that the operator pulls is normally for the accelerator control for the motor. They normally yank it wide open then let the dyno "release" the motor at a predetermined rate.

They only major friction that should occur ever in a motor whilist it is running is the rings on the bore. I don't flog a motor straight off because you want to make everything is right first (timing, oil, water, etc). But after the first 100km or so I'll give the motor some, then change the oil. I ran my bike up to the limiter (12,000rpm) at 280km. I have done 2000km in it now and it doesn't smoke or use oil.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech