Ford Forums banner

SMART LOCK problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

85K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  YolandChu 
#1 ·
Went to start up my car today and no go! :( (EF Falcon 4ltr)

When you turn the key to the "on" position, the "Smart Lock" light flashes 5 times in a row, then stops, and repeats for few times, after which it just goes balistic. The starter motor works, but the smart lock doesn't allow for fuel or spark or something.

What do i do?

I rung up Fraud....err Ford and great help they were by saying "well it's a smart lock problem, you'll have to bring it in" :| funny that, considering I can't even start it!! and the bloke could not tell me what the 5 flashes indicate.

I've had the problem once before, but just checked all the wires leading to the smart lock unit, and it started after that, but it doesn't seem to be doing that today.

#3 ·
check ya fuses,bash under where the smart lock modual is ,have you been playing with ther stereo?

#5 ·
tried bashing it, all it did is relief some stress... but it still does it

tried the battery disconnecting crap, no help :(

had a glance at the fuses, look fine... but will try to replace some with new one
Which ones would be the likely culperate?

#6 ·
it's the one for the interea lights ,i think is says crt or something ?? it should be a 10amp one red

#8 ·
Lol

#11 ·
I had similar intermitant problems - where the light may or may not flash - sometimes the car starts, others it doesn't. Ford wanted to replace the whole thing at much $$$.

As an experiment, I traced the starter solenoid activation wire I sliced in a new wire (whilst leaving the original still in place) the new wire I ran back into the passenger comparment, ran it through a toggle/spring type flip switch, then to the permenant live at the ignition switch - however any permentant live would do.

So now when my wife (it's her car) can't start the car, she switches on the ignition (without taking all the way round to start position) then momentarialy presses the toggle switch - and hey presto.

It's bit of a bind, but it works, and it was cheap (A$13.00)

Ladas

#13 ·
You have a code 5 (5 flashes) which means that wire 1 (earth) or wire 3 (clock signal) is broken somewhere between the lock and the BCM. Check that pins at both end first. They are fine wires easily crushed when the steering column plastic covers are put back together.

#14 ·
Codes are:

2 : wrong data (1 or 2 codes)
3: all three codes wrong
4: open connector between BEM and lock
5: Ground or/and clock circuit broken between BEM and lock (pins 1 and /or 3)
6: Starter motor safety circuit inside BEM failed
8: Lock data error all codes wrong.

#15 ·
Yeah the Ford guy isn't going to tell you anything over the phone that could cause you to start working on it yourself and wreck something then start a lawsuit because their advice wrecked your vehicle. Try disconnecting the battery overnight and try it the next day. The reset might help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.