This sound ok to Boost a 4.1L EFI Motor???? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2004, 04:27   #1 (permalink)

This sound ok to Boost a 4.1L EFI Motor????

Hey guys, does this sound ok for a Turbo Conversion list to boost the 4.1L EFI Motor? Please make a suggestion or comment...

Turbo Conversion List

- 4.1L EFI Motor
- Turbo (R32 GTS-T)
- Manifold (make sure each pipe the same length)
- Surge tank (weld one up)
- Turbo Injectors (SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE STOCK ONES)
- At least 2 ½ “ exhaust (3” recommended)
- Fuel Pump (high pressure, for after surge tank)
- ECU Adaptronics ($495 + GST)
- Wiring Looms etc, (for ECU)
- Decompression Plate (Custom one made up)
- Exhaust Gaskets
- 2-bar MAP Sensor (from Petroject $93.00 + GST Or 5v 3 Wire type from wreckers)
- MAT Sensor
- Catalytic Converter (Cheap Hi-Flow one or use hollow one in now)
- Boost Gauge
- Boost Controller
- Oil Lines & ‘T’ Piece?????????????
- High Pressure Fuel Lines (EFI Fuel Lines, only need to replace them between the high pressure fuel pump and the motor)
- Turbo Hoses (from turbo to motor)
XXX.91F is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2004, 06:27   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: This sound ok to Boost a 4.1L EFI Motor????

You'll need way bigger injectors than std..An R32 is realy too small or JUST big enough???Equall length manifolds are NO big deal on turbo's unless your on real edge of tune..A T3 size turbo would be o/k on std compression especially if it's under 9.1..Imo... Fuel lines would be o/k just install an inline..Unless you suspect the intank is on its way out... Use 3" dump pipe that covers wastegate with plate/barrier between the two to prevent turbulance...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:35   #3 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

Well im doin the same thing to my 4.1 right now (uncompleted as yet) so i cant say anything from experience buuuuut, from what i understand

-the Skyline turbo will be too small. Remember the RB20DET is a 2.0 litre engine and the Ford is over 4 litres. Zoom magazine slapped TWO R32 Gts-t turbos onto a Falcon and got about 220kW ona stock engine.

-with all the upgraded injectors, ECU, Fuel pump, fuel lines, etc. it might be a good idea to consider a straight gas setup. You may potentially save a lot of money and will pass any emissions tests when the cops pop your bonnet.

-If you're running a low boost setup i dont think a decompression plate will be necesary. The CR is already 8.5 (i think) which is fairly low.

Anyway, good luck with your project.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 20:12   #4 (permalink)
Fu(kn Slow & Low

as i understand the r32 turbo is too small, if your looking for another cheap option turbo get an r33 turbo or a vg30 (300zx) roller bearing, these arent too expensive and would be abit better suited for the motor. im definantly going straight gas for my turbo setup on my ea (already got the gas system) and am going to use eith a vg30 roller bearing or a t4. you should look into gas if its gonna be street driven.

Ehab
White 1988 EA Fairmont Ghia ~ Gassed ~ EF camshaft ~ Lowered on super low king springs (not low enough) ~ 2.5inch cat back exhaust system with one muffler ~ Clear indicators ~ Simota POD filter ~ New head built for gas ~ 3.23 open wheeler diff ~ EF XR 16inch rims ~ pioneer deck and rear speakers ~ sony front speakers ~ kyb shocks

driving a 3 speed auto with no second gear!!!
Need PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 20:34   #5 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Which throttle body and convertors are you going to use Need PSI
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 22:15   #6 (permalink)

See if you can get 2x vg20 turbo's, these are the ones that Zoom used and they cost about 250-300 each, they are not roller bearing but since you are not going to be running high boost (no new pistons/rods mentioned) they should be sufficient till you hit you gerbox's power limit (you failed to mention what g/b you have) but im guessing about 200-220rwkw. Anything over this you will need pistons and rods and rebuilt gb

Also you will need an intercooler or it will ping its head off - quite literally.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 00:53   #7 (permalink)

Im going to run 7psi max.
Im not too sure if the turbo is off a GTST or a GTR, but ill already have it so itll have to do.. What would happen if the turbo is too small??
Ive been told by several people that i will not need to replace the injectors cause of the low boost ill be running...
In a perfect world, i hope to make around 180kw, as the motor is apparently making 120kw in stock form...
Comments...?
Suggestions...?
Old 05-07-2004, 04:01   #8 (permalink)

Standard XF injectors are already running at 70-80% of their potential. You need bigger injectors. Even with 7 psi, the skyline turbo will be working hard. The faster the turbo spins past its optimum speed, the hotter the air is that comes out. If you do'nt run an intercooler, you'll have to retard the timing that much to stop pinging, it will be a pig to drive. If your comp. ratio is already fairly low, you could open up the combustion chambers(professionally) to possibly drop the comp. enough.....
shano6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 15:23   #9 (permalink)

What injectors would u suggest? Would i have to use special turbo ones or could i use any eg.others from 6cyl maybe even V8 injectors???
What would be the highest boost level i could run without having to use an intercooler??
Old 05-07-2004, 16:22   #10 (permalink)

If you go to a performance shop, they can give you flow comparisons between different injectors. If you have any intentions of putting a bigger turbo on later, go for an injector to allow for this. I have 600c.c injectors that I was running with a TO4 and 12psi, which were adequate. As I said, with that small turbo that you have, you're a bit stuck. You will really have to run an intercooler to get worthwhile power, or buy a bigger turbo- but even then you should run an intercooler.
shano6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech