Spark plug leads - help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2003, 16:36   #1 (permalink)

Spark plug leads - help

I need help. Does anyone know an easy way to change spark plug leads on an AU I6 without pulling half the motor apart. The coil pack is placed in an almost impossible position. It took me half an hour to change the number 3 lead by feel alone because you can't see anything from under the car or from the engine bay. Any tricks of the trade would be most appriciated. Thanks
falcongli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2003, 16:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: Spark plug leads - help

When i changed my leads to 10mm ones it took a cool 1hr 25min to complete, when i removed the first one i thought i was screwed cos i couldnt figure out any way to do it, but in the end victory was mine. I got to the coil by jacking the car up and lying under the car with my left arm bending up sort of through the oil filter access area and then some to the right. I just managed to push it on with 2 fingers only. seriously though what a arse-clown of a job.
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 21:34   #3 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Thanks for your help. I have gone in through the bottom and done the fingertip trick, it's a real bugger.

I've since read a previous thread on this forum and there was a suggestion that removing the air cleaner intake box and tubes, there would be sufficient room to access the coil pack. I'll try it tonight and keep you posted.

Cheers
Old 07-28-2003, 07:15   #4 (permalink)

Re: Spark plug leads - help

Just take the aircleaner box out.Plenty of room and real easy to do.Shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour with a smoke break as well.
Old 07-28-2003, 16:32   #5 (permalink)

biggrin

Thanks guys, I've taken the intake snorkel and air cleaner box out and there was plenty of room to access the coil pack by reaching under the inlet manifold. Changer the leads in 20 min start to finish. You can just take the intake snorkel and still access easily with one hand, but if you want to use two hands, you'll need to take the box out as well. Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech