Starting to get parts for MPFI conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2002, 11:53   #1 (permalink)
eafalcon.com member

Starting to get parts for MPFI conversion

Iím now getting parts for the mpfi conversion. I have none of the parts yet. I will be doing the conversion with my Uncle who is a mechanic.

I spoke to a guy from a wreckers here in Perth WA, and asked him for a price on the parts. He said it is $210 for the air speed control sensor by its self. I then asked him for the rest and he said roughly $700-$800 I laughed and hanged up.

Is he right about the air speed controller or is he shitting to me?

I really want to do the conversion.

How much should I get all the parts for?

People that have done it, is it really worth the money and time spent?

Please help!

EA'S RULE!!!!

never late in a V8

comming soon
K&N air filter
XR8 intake snorkle
High flow exhaust/cats/hm headers
Clear front & side indicators
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2002, 11:58   #2 (permalink)
Brent79

WTF is an air speed controller??? LOL

Be warned dude, make sure u get all the wiring good.. id go with GRK's method and change the whole wiring loom. Dont
go rewiring as the guy who did mine stuffed it all up...

Good luck

Brent
Old 03-15-2002, 12:03   #3 (permalink)
eafalcon.com member

ok

I did not know there was a air speed flow controller. I dont even know what it is.

Brent how much did it cost you for the parts?

never late in a V8

comming soon
K&N air filter
XR8 intake snorkle
High flow exhaust/cats/hm headers
Clear front & side indicators
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 12:35   #4 (permalink)

Re: ok

ive never heard of it either. unless he meant a mass air flow sensor but i think the EA uses a MAP sensor instead
jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 14:31   #5 (permalink)
THEGRK2000

dude look, if you have problems post it and will help, if you wanna see how i did it go to www.geocities.com/falconracing
The site isnt finished yet but i'm working on it...
Old 04-08-2002, 02:36   #6 (permalink)
timkershaw

Ok I really need some help here. I have done the conversion but rather than fk around with mana folds etc i just ripped whole engine out and put in 4ltr multipoint. now before i did this i just had the trans fully worked. so it was working in a1 condition perfect. Now since i have put this new engine in i can not get car into top gear. and it knocks hard from 3 back to second it has no kick back unlessya do it manuallly.
someone told me it could be the fact that i have no gas in the air con. but i dont know. I have new computer in there i have tried diff comps and everything ya can think of.hehe

can someone help please i really need it

Regards
Tim Ker
Old 04-08-2002, 10:15   #7 (permalink)
Brent79

Nah dude, its coz you dont have a throttle positioning sensor attatched too yer 4spd auto. With the 3.9L multipoint, the throttle body has 2 TPS attached, 1 for the engine management and the other is for the auto controller. With the 4.0L engine, the automatic is controlled by the ECU so a 2nd TPS is not needed. What you need to do is remove yer throttle body and replace it with one from a 3.9L 4spd.
It will have 2 TPS in tandum. You should still have the wiring harness there from yer CFI, thou it may not reach too the TPS. You will need to cut it and lenghten the 3 wires.
Without the TPS, yer auto doesnt know how much gas yer giving the engine and it most certainly wont go into 4th cos when there is no TPS attached, the gearbox thinks you are not accelerating.

Brent
Old 04-08-2002, 13:55   #8 (permalink)
timkershaw

Throttle TPS SWTCH

The tps is connected at the momment but ya mean it isnt actuially reading from the harness ..?

i cant use the cfi harness though can i.??

how do i do it ?

hey my email is tkershaw@hotmail.com
Old 04-08-2002, 14:22   #9 (permalink)
timkershaw

TPS

I have been told by auto trans people that it wouldnt be even going into 1,2,3 if tps wasnt reading..
so i am really confused hey...

what do i do
Old 04-08-2002, 21:30   #10 (permalink)
Brent79

Re: TPS

dude, it does go... those guys obviously dunno shit coz have you ever placed the car in drive with no throttle and felt it eventually go from 1st to 2nd and then 3rd without yer foot on the gas!! It will shift into 1,2 and 3rd but will not slip into 4th or lock-up... when i did my conversion, i had the exact same problem.. Have a look in your engine bay.. you should have a 3pin connector sitting there with colours brown, orange and green (i think they r the colours) this is the connector for your auto TPS. Im assuming they didnt remove this harness when they put in the 4.0L. On the CFI, it sits towards the rear of the engine bay but on MPFI models it needs too reach the front. Cut the connector in the middle and add about 30-40cm of cable.. that should be enuf to reach the throttle body. On your 4.0L you will have 1 TPS.
Problem here is that the shaft on the throttle body wont allow you too simply add another TPS in tandum, so you will need to remove the throttle body (4 screws holding it to the intake manifold) and replace it with a throttle body that has the longer shaft (only came on the 4spd 3.9L MPFI). Im assuming here that the 3.9L and 4.0L have the same sized throttle body and are a direct exchange, can someone verify this?
Once you have it on and connected up you will have correct operation of yer auto again. BTW, the jolt you feel when its changing down is coz the auto is kicking down too early and will revert to normal operation when u get the TPS operational.

Good luck

Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech