stick with auto or go manual - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2005, 22:40   #1 (permalink)

stick with auto or go manual

hey guys i have a 94 EF falcon sportsman(i have no idea what that means and if someone could tell me that would be great!) it has a crow stage 3 cam, custom intake piping, extractors, 323 diff ratio and it has a spastic shift kit if you rev over 4 grand in first and shift it will light them up now i was just woundering if you guys though i should spend the money and go a manual gearbox or go a chip, bigger cam and head work your thoughts would be so helpful
cheers
notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2005, 03:33   #2 (permalink)

Re: stick with auto or go manual

GO MANUAL - you wont believe the difference. The falcons come alive with a 5 speed.

With a bigger cam and the other mods you listed you will lose power down low and this will be very noticable with the auto. With the manual you can pretty much go wild and keep it streetable.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:46   #3 (permalink)

If you want to go really quick stay with the Auto.
I had an EL auto and went manual and loved it until the box started to give me problems. Especially with the clutch.
3 clutches later I upgraded to a V8 Au ute Manual and added a blower and at 200rwkw i killed the box. This was after 3 clutch upgrades. The last one actually took most of the punishment handed out but Killed the box. Torque was the problem, they hate it. Poor shift quality and if i had a dollar for every time i missed 3rd when giving it to it i'd be rich....sort of.
A well sort out Auto will more reliably and consistently run faster times in a Hipo car than any manual let alone a T5. Look at the Xr6T Fastest ones are Auto.

If your going to settle at Moderate power then the manual is a reasonable choice. Have fun going through clutches though.
TKTDSGM Member
AU2XLSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:09   #4 (permalink)

yeah, auto,s the way to go with big performance engines, although if u update to a heavy duty clutch kit n respect the clutch, the driving experience is far better with a manual than an auto... i know... i converted my ef fairmont 6 to five speed... my 6 has extractors,xr6 head,$1000 on porting, crow stage 2, adjus cam gear...and the five sp..... 5sp definatly worth it! all i need now is the heavy duty clutch as mines starting to slip.. not through burnouts though! old age... 5sp all the way!!!
fordfreak ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:55   #5 (permalink)

put it this way a mate of minbe has a XH ute with a 5 speed and 355 lsd and i have a ef with auto( heavily modiefied auto) and 308 diff and he rekons mine kills his in the thrill factor! and he also rekons that on the way to work eating maccas is a **** when you have to change gears! lol
cheers guys more feed back please it helps so mutch
notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:41   #6 (permalink)

How are you going to deal with the 1st gear ratio in a high power auto? Youll end up having to stuff around with diff ratios and stall convertors. It'll work, but it aint going to be nice to drive.

I have 200rwhp which is a decent amount for a 6 and I have no clutch problems. Why? I installed a decent clutch in the first place (Heavy duty holden v8 clutch setup). I have been giving the clutch a hard time for a year now and it has not given me a single problem.

It seems to me that most of the reliability problems people have is due to the old clapped out boxes (often ea boxes that are weaker than later e-series) they pick up from wrecking yards for conversions into cars with performance mods. I installed a fully reconditioned box with a manual computer and shift kit for less than $1400. Had no problems with that either.

The shift quality on my box was a little poor, but it has got loose as it broke in and now I have no problems hitting gears - in fact besides the first month I had the box installed I have never missed a gear.

List the fastest 10 I6's down the 1/4 mile - most, if not all, will be 5 speeds.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:25   #7 (permalink)

like stockstandard said put in a good clutch straight off and u shouldnt have a problem it is usuall good to try and get the later model T5's like EL and AU coz most of them havent the thrashing that the older 5 speeds have.
BlueBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech