Straight 6 to V8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2004, 16:30   #1 (permalink)

Tongue Straight 6 to V8

Hey guys ive currently got the stock straight 6 in my series 1 EF and im looking to put AU V8 in. Does any one know how much the actual motor will cost me in good condition with low Kms. What other work will be involved to prep the car for this?

Thanks Ben
BEN69V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2004, 16:34   #2 (permalink)
EF & ZH owner

Re: Straight 6 to V8

I'd try ringing a few wreckers and seeing how much this would be.. You'd probably need to replace the tailshaft, gearbox etc aswell.

EF2 Futura - 2.5" zorst - K&N Filter - 3" intake - xr8 CAI - Wade 1004-14 Cam - Pacemaker PH4480 xtractors - 15" stockies

77 ZH Fairlane 500 - 302clevo - straight lpg - 12 slotters

God bless the lord, Henry Ford.
XCHASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 16:37   #3 (permalink)

Is that picture of your car mate cause it looks exactly the same as mine except ive got the Ghia fog lights aswell!
BEN69V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 16:41   #4 (permalink)

harder then you thing mate, best bet would be to get an AU V8 from auction, there are just too many parts that would need swapping and the various trips back to the wrecker would cost a fortune.
If you're verrrrry keen on getting a V8, i'd put an EF/EL V8 in and mod it, certainly a lot easier in terms of compatability.
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 22:29   #5 (permalink)
EF & ZH owner

yeah mate, thats my car

EF2 Futura - 2.5" zorst - K&N Filter - 3" intake - xr8 CAI - Wade 1004-14 Cam - Pacemaker PH4480 xtractors - 15" stockies

77 ZH Fairlane 500 - 302clevo - straight lpg - 12 slotters

God bless the lord, Henry Ford.
XCHASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 23:09   #6 (permalink)

Yeh what effalcon said, if you get an AU V8 than you have to get a EF-EL v8 wiring loom and puter so it is alot of cross matching.
cogo_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 01:48   #7 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Would be tricksy. Probably need to convert back from Coil pack ignition to dizzy (AU's used coil packs afaik). Also need different injectors or computer mods to cope. Other electrical compnents (sensors etc, might also be incompatible from the AU to the EF ecu's)
As cogo said, would need reasonable loom changes as well.
It might be easier (not sure on price), to investigate an aftermarket computer for running the motor, and leave the original ecu for smartlock compatibility and so forth.

I'm also unsure about the transmission compatibility (I *think* V8's used 97le, and 6's 95 or 93le) - not sure how different they are. If manual, you would need to change boxes (different input shaft lengths). This *might* entail other changes, perhaps driveshaft (probably not I would guess).

All in all, I'd seriously consider just buying a V8 (not what you want to hear :) ). You could also realistically push the I6 to similar or higher power levels for the same money as the V8 conversion. (e.g. turbo / s/c).

A big job, with lots of investigation to do (don't take my word as gospel on anything except the need for LOTS of investigation before you make and decisions or spend money). Good luck
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 02:51   #8 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Yeh get a complete v8, rollover or something. Probably a few K but will be cheaper than buying all the parts

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech