Street feel of the Dev 5 / 5a ??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2005, 20:36   #1 (permalink)

Street feel of the Dev 5 / 5a ???

Those of you out there with dev5 kits I just wanted to know how the increased power “feels”?? The quoted 170rwkw on paper doesn’t mean a real lot to me compared to rubber on the bitumen.

Is there enough power generated by the kit to get wheel spin heaven of the mark on 235 treads with a four speed auto and 345 LSD??

Does the car push you bask in your seat under acceleration?

How do you suppose an E series dev5 would compare to XR6T???

Or is all this beyond the realm of steerable N/A and turbo is the solution???
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2005, 22:40   #2 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

Re: Street feel of the Dev 5 / 5a ???

Forum member Soxx has a dev5 fitted. The last track day I went to and he was there (in 30deg+ heat) he did a 14.4 something quarter.

Turbo xr6's do somewhere around the 14 flat to 14.4 depending on whether you're looking at journo times or forum member times.

There's another person here with a dev5 fitted to...Is it Rollin ?

I'll have a dev5 cam (not the whole kit tho) in by the 31st.
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 22:42   #3 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

Another thing to consider between the turbo and dev5 is insurance. You can hide a cam change easier than a bunch of plumbing for a turbo.....
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:15   #4 (permalink)

Hi brooza,

good question, I was wondering the same thing. I wonder if JMM let customes drive their ute? I am looking at getting a dev5 after I finish the house renovations!
scottc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:48   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the input!!!
I realise that insurance may be problem for a turbo system but I don’t have comprehensive insurance anyway so it ain’t no big deal. Basically what I’m really chasing is low down torque! Nothing crazy but strong, reliable and efficient performance.

So come on guys what’s the dev 5/5a kit made of? Will they do the above mentioned things??
Old 01-20-2005, 02:03   #6 (permalink)

shhhh all jmm gear is a big secret untill you spend some cash and ring them half a dozen times.
but that aside it works very well. i have just recently fitted a streetfighter kit to our au2 s pack manual(aperently just a dev 4 cam from i understand ).it goes like stink ,it used to bag it up easy enough but now now every time i pop the clutch a bit it just bangs the limiter (single wheeler diff with 3.23 ratio 225 tyres).
previous car was an au xr8 manual with 2 1/2 cat back exhaust .the s i6 would do it hands down no worries as long as you kept it on cam (3500 and above)anything under that and the 8 would kill it .
so i reckon a 3.45 lsd and 235 tyres and full dev 5 kit youd be frying some tyres
catch ya jake
MrMercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 16:08   #7 (permalink)

I can appreciate that with a t5 smoking 235 with a LSD would be very achievable off the mark. However I’m under the impression that the situation would be different with an auto. Is there anyone with an auto and a dev 5??

Comments please……………..

Jim says that kit offers a large torque increase from 1000rpm and up. But this contradicts what soxx and other dev 5 owners say. There general feeling seems to be that there is little difference felt below 2000rpm.

The last thing I want is something that needs to be bouncing off the rev limiter (over exaggeration I know) for decent torque to be felt through a auto.
Old 01-20-2005, 19:12   #8 (permalink)

Hey,

I have a DEV5 + Race Header + Race intake fitted to my EF manual.
My impressions are that if you keep it below 3000 it feels fairly similar to standard, but over 3000, then it comes alive.

To give you an idea of how I get the car to boogie:
Drive along in first steady at approx 3000rpm, then nail it. Shift at the red line each time. The car fights for grip when you stand on it in first and then again above 5000rpm the tyres start to have trouble. Car is smooth all though out the rev range.

For the thread that I started with some pics of the kit:
Just got DEV5 for my EF (incl dnyo chart)

search for the thread with the above title in the Inline 6 Tech forum (I can't seem to get a link to work in a post)

or click below:
Just got DEV5 for my EF (incl dnyo chart)
5_Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 19:25   #9 (permalink)

JMM cams are really good and deliver the outputs they claim closely enough but if you truly want power in the 2000-3000rpm range you waon't get anything better than an XR6 cam.

As soon as the BBM switches the JMM cams really deliver but below that they just match a stocker.

Best choice is go the JMM and drop a diff ratio to make up the low end difference.
Old 01-20-2005, 19:51   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the input so then the dev 5 doesn’t have the low down torque for a smoking take off on 235s in an auto….
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech