Surecam Regrind - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2005, 10:20   #1 (permalink)
92 EB II XR6

Surecam Regrind

hey whats your opinions on this surecam regrind in comparison to the wade and JMM cams available, it only costs about $165 to grind and i was just wondering what type of power is expected.

any information much appreciated,

Brad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg regrind cam.jpg (55.6 KB, 153 views)
TickfordXRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2005, 17:16   #2 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Re: Surecam Regrind

well you will need bigger valve springs...

but it looks good though...personally I would stick with the good old wade 1004<114, great cam....

Dave.
-------------------------------
"Can't sleep, Clown'll eat me, can't sleep, clown'll eat me"
"I am the angel of death, the time of purification is at hand"
-------------------------------
fordboy1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:46   #3 (permalink)
92 EB II XR6

... anymore opinions?
Old 06-07-2005, 07:23   #4 (permalink)

from a quick look at the specs its a marginally bigger than the 1004, little more life and slightly less duration. Probably around the dev3/3hl in terms of power output. Surecam can probably tell you more though (I found them to be very helpful on the phone).

Roughly same price as wade regrind as well.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:12   #5 (permalink)

This cam should be slightly torquier than the wade 1004 grind and provided your heads can flow the extra lift, have about the same top end power.

Easiest way to check coil bind if you buy the cam is stick it in then at max valve lift on exhaust and inlet check that no springs are solid and that you can still fit in a paper clip inbetween the coils.

If you want more than 172rwhp then I would use a larger cam, especially since you have a manual. I reckon when you start getting over 208@050" with the cam it starts becoming an issue with the idle, meaning chip, aftermarket ecu, etc.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:42   #6 (permalink)
92 EB II XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by not ford
This cam should be slightly torquier than the wade 1004 grind and provided your heads can flow the extra lift, have about the same top end power.

Easiest way to check coil bind if you buy the cam is stick it in then at max valve lift on exhaust and inlet check that no springs are solid and that you can still fit in a paper clip inbetween the coils.

If you want more than 172rwhp then I would use a larger cam, especially since you have a manual. I reckon when you start getting over 208@050" with the cam it starts becoming an issue with the idle, meaning chip, aftermarket ecu, etc.
what cam do u recommend? the regrind in this post was the cam that Rollin had when he pulled 197RWHP and a 14.5 down the strip... OED666 now has this cam and pulled a 14.7 with more in it... there going to organise the grind for me, and by its past results i was thinking this cam is the way to go... what cam do u reckon?
Old 06-08-2005, 16:46   #7 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

Quote:
as TickfordXRFan said, i made 197.4hp at the wheels with that exact cam.

other things that affected that output that are different to your car are:

JMM series1 extractors and a 2.5"mandrel bent exhaust with two straight through mufflers

vernier cam gear set to 2* retard - your car my be different if the chain is stretched more or less than mine.

stock GLi fuel pressure reg (not factory XR one)

crow valvesprings, retainers and collets.

also i had a pod filter setup with blanking plates to stop engine bay air from getting into the filter.

im pretty sure the timing was the same as yours, it was a lot anyway :D couldnt get an accurate reading because the car didnt idle very well in diagnostic mode.

and kilometers. change your damn oil man!!! do 3 oil and filter changes in 2000km to clean that crap out of your engine!

i was very happy with that cam, with a 3.9LSD and 235/45/17 tyres on the back i could let the clutch out in first gear at idle, then stomp it, and the car would get to about 2500-3000rpm and the rear tyres would break traction to the redline! it was an awesome feeling...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:34   #8 (permalink)

Well I stand corrected then. Then retarding of the cam would have aided the top end hp.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 00:42   #9 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

it made a 5hp difference at the top, compared to running at 0* advance. gained 5hp at the ecpence of about 3 or 4hp from idle to about 2500/3000rpm, then the power graphs crossed over and ended up with more peak.

for an auto i Would set it at 0*

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech