Tappet sound from... Transmition.. WTF!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2005, 09:50   #1 (permalink)
92 EB II XR6

Tappet sound from... Transmition.. WTF!!!

I was under the impression my hydraulic lifters were stuffed, i went and bought some "lifter stop" see if it would quieten the noise. Till the other day i noticed if i rest my foot on the clutch, like push the clutch in maybe 1cm or so, the tapping sound goes away... i also noticed the tapping sound comes if i leave the car in Neutral and get out of the car, when the clutch is in it doesnt make this sound...

any help, much appreciated.
TickfordXRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2005, 13:18   #2 (permalink)

Re: Tappet sound from... Transmition.. WTF!!!

hi mate i'm no expert , but it sound like it could be your release bearing

Cheers
Jinxed
Jinxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 21:00   #3 (permalink)

Afraid it's a throw out bearing as well. Time to replace it, while you at it replace the clutch at the same time. Save's aggravation later trust me. Lube the linkage and make all adjustment's as well.
Might also want to have fly wheel checked while in there. Remember when you fix on problem in the clutch line it's added insurance and easier to replace the other items at same time. Rather then doing it later, a second time.
pacer88220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:19   #4 (permalink)

be sure to fill the throw out bearing with grease too before you put it in (the new one that is) :)
maddogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 20:08   #5 (permalink)
Mcccli

Isn't it possible that its the starter motor not pulling out properly??
Mine does that but only at start up and i got told that eventually it might begin to happen all the time; and that you gotta replace the teeth on the flywheel that the starter motor drives
mcccy005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech