Tapping sound - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2005, 17:54   #1 (permalink)

Tapping sound

Hey just a quick vague question about my 89 CPI EA engine so I can point the mechanic in the right direction incase he doesn't know much about EAs...

I have a tapping noise coming from the top of the engine, possibly under the rocker cover. It taps when I start the car up, and goes away after a while. It comes and goes as I drive and stop at lights. Sometimes I will hear it when I stop at lights, and it will fade away while I'm still stopped there.

Any ideas?
Bidju is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2005, 22:32   #2 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Re: Tapping sound

With those symptoms a lifter for sure. May go away with a simple flush (if the lifter is just gummed) or it may need replacing.
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:22   #3 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

Just about every i6 falcon does it. Run some nulon lifter free with your oil on your next change. I mght not go away completely, but it'll settle it a bit. Usualy if the lifter is completely stuffed it'll run rough/miss.

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Dull Alloy factory mags, ooo yeah.

Proud TQE Operator
donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:29   #4 (permalink)

It does sound like a lifter, first thing u would want to do is check for an oil leak coz this can happen due to not enough oil which tends to happen to the CPI ea's. u could try and put thicker oil in or the nulon product if it doesnt do away u may want to start thinkin about replacing them.
BlueBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:38   #5 (permalink)

change mechanics
Old 11-07-2005, 19:34   #6 (permalink)

Ok, I've never opened up one of these, how can I tell if they are stuffed if I open it up? Do I need to replace any seals if I open it?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:56   #7 (permalink)
Got my 3.45 LSD!

my AU makes the same noise, and its a 2nd hand engine with 80k. i start it up in the morning and i can hear a tapping sound. then i goes away, i think. i thought the oil sinks down 2 the sump and there is no oil in the head so u hear a tapping sound. then it starts following and moves to the head. let me kno if u fix it, caz i sure want to fix mine.

Built with spanners, not chopsticks.
AU dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:26   #8 (permalink)

i have an EA same as yours 270k on the clock and it usually taps when oil is low or too thin ie ready for a service. try changing oil and keeping an eye on it. if it taps when the engine is warm chances are you need to replace the lifter seals..

AU dude

thats odd to have tapping at 80k i have an AU 127k never heard anything like that. are you using 5W-30 oil coz the E seies use 15W-40.

good luck fixing it
junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:00   #9 (permalink)
Got my 3.45 LSD!

yea im using 5w 30. with my other engine, when i got the car, i cracked the oil pick up from the bottom of the sump using thick oil and killed the head, so not wanting it to happen again i use synthetic oil. i think ill use 10w 30 or even 15w 40 next oil change and see if there is any diffence.

Built with spanners, not chopsticks.
AU dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 22:38   #10 (permalink)

I changed the oil and put in some Wynns Supreme I think it's called. It did nothing for about 4 days, but after a 1100km journey a couple of days ago it seems to be a lot quieter. Still tapping but much quieter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech