Thermo Fan problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2004, 05:11   #1 (permalink)

Thermo Fan problems

I have just changed my clutch fan for a set of AU Thermo fans.. I have an 82 (not 92) therstat in it with 2 holes in the housing to let a little bit of water through.. and an adjustable thermo switch which i have set on 1/4 temp at the moment they come on at the start on the "o" with "n" as cold.. The problem is that they stay on and the temp only comes down when i stop and let it idle do I need to put a 92 termostat in it or do i take the thermostat out altogether..

If anyone has put thermos in their ea can you please let me know what you are running and what temp the car runs at

Thanks Guys

soon to have a shift kit and one day in the unforseen future i will drop in the manual gearbox
d_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2004, 05:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: Thermo Fan problems

if i ever fit aftemarket themo fans i would power them through the accessories and let them run 24/7. elimitaes the hassle with thermo switching and keeps engine colder all together. downfall is it sometimes takes a few minutes later after startup for the engine to get hot ....
Old 03-21-2004, 15:11   #3 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Sorry, I'm a little confused by your post, but what I think your saying is that your car is basically running too cold now ?

I experimented with a cold thermostat through summer, and went a little overboard with a 82 like you (mind you this is for a V8). Its fairly difficult to get the thing up to temp, so I'm going to go back to a normal rated one. If its too cold, its bad for the motor, and you will be running rich (the ecu will try and compensate for the cold).

Really, if you've got thermo's now, and the rest of the system (radiatior) is in good nick, there isn't much reason to go for the cold thermostat imo...
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 17:25   #4 (permalink)

no its just when driving around the fans are on all the time and it doesn't drop the temp from the o in normal it stays at the same point on the temp gauge and doesn't come down ..

also to if anyone has thrmos in there car do their thermos come on when they are doing 100km

soon to have a shift kit and one day in the unforseen future i will drop in the manual gearbox

Last edited by d_slayer; 03-21-2004 at 17:54.
Old 03-21-2004, 18:20   #5 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Your thermo's are set to come on at too lower temptarure. They should be coming in after your thermostat opens.

I'd suggest putting them on a switch so you can turn them off completely from inside the car and just drive around for a while. See where your car can hold the temprature by itself.

You'll be surprised how well it can maintain the temprature itself, only sitting in heavy traffic/long traffic lights should raise the temprature to the sort of levels needed for the the thermo's to kick in.

Once you know where it maintains itself in normal driving, set the thermo switch a little bit higher than that and you should be fine.

The thermos on my XD and the XF come on for maximum of 2-3 minutes a day when driving peak hour into the city. The rest of the time the temp takes care of itself. Never at 100kmh.

Last edited by xdc351; 03-21-2004 at 18:27.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 02:10   #6 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

same here - i have EF ones and they never come on on the freeway - i can drive from home to work (25 mins at about 40km/h tops) and they only come on in the carpark, when im parking! never on the freeway.

as xdc351 said, i think your thermos are set to too low a temp - are you sure that the thermostat you put in was a 82 degree one? and are both the fans definatly spinning the correct direction? fron front to back obviously...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 05:03   #7 (permalink)

rollin yes i am sure it is a 82 as it was an aftermarket on i got from repco and both fans are sucking air from front to back. and where on the gauge does your thermos kick on and what does your car sit on normally and what temp is your termostat

Old 03-22-2004, 06:21   #8 (permalink)

i have thermos on my car, they kickin about the R on ( NORMAL ) N being cold. and turn off on the N. Dont forget your thermos should cycle with your aircon too. so if you are ever sitting in heavy traffic and not moving, put your aircon on, and the fans will cool the car down.

My fans never come on when i am movin, i travel a little further than Rollin to work, but we go the same way, and mine dont even come on. on the freeway my gauge sits on the cold bracket, next to the N.

94 ED Futura
PROUD TQE OPERATOR
13.822 @ 99.67MPH - Willowbank 05/08/2006
OED666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:47   #9 (permalink)

OED666 and Rollin what thermostats are you using or have to taken them out

Old 03-25-2004, 04:13   #10 (permalink)

i am not sure wot thermostat i am using, i no Rollin got it for me. Its a bloody cold one i know that. Rollin has the same as me

94 ED Futura
PROUD TQE OPERATOR
13.822 @ 99.67MPH - Willowbank 05/08/2006
OED666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech