Ford Forums banner

TICK TICK TICK The famous XF Tick Noise

12K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  two heads 
#1 ·
Hey guys
How the hell do I get rid of the ticking noise my XF has? It has a 250x flow, extractors, exhaust, air filter. It has 294,000km and 20-50 Valvoline oil in it. How would I go about getting rid of that ticking noise? I *think* it might be the tappets but I'm not to sure. I've added Wynns Engine tune up formula thats meant to help quiet down lifters and noises but it has done absolutely nothing. The tick is louder than the engine and increases pace with the engine when its revved. People must be able to hear the tick from 15-20m away its so loud... Any ideas anyone?
Cheers

#4 ·
Try using a thicker oil, one designed for high km engines, I also had the same problem in my old xf, which had 330 000kms on it, all i did was buy better oil, cant remember i think it was a shell helix for older engines, and also added an additive worn engine treatment its called, forget who makes it. It worked and i never heard anything since. How old is the oil in your car?

#6 ·
The oil is new, probably about 1000km old? Maybe less. It doesn't seem to do it more when its cold, its just always there. SLY_GLi thanks for that, I guess I might try that with my next oil change. Yes its also a standard XF 250 xflow.

#7 ·
let us know how you go....im in the same boat except my tickings very quiet, but still noticeable. i only have 215k on the clock though so for an 85 model i wouldnt really call the engine worn. my oils about 1000k old as well but has gone black already as i think there is a heap of gunk in the engine.

#9 ·
mine sounds like its at the back of the engine. also when you stop the engine you can hear a fluid dripping/running in the motor. sounds pretty thin like water but im not sure if it is or if its water or even why it would be doing it either way. could just be normal as i havent had any problems from it.

#11 ·
davway said:
let us know how you go....im in the same boat except my tickings very quiet, but still noticeable. i only have 215k on the clock though so for an 85 model i wouldnt really call the engine worn. my oils about 1000k old as well but has gone black already as i think there is a heap of gunk in the engine.
Maybe with your next oil change you could try using either wynns or nulon engine flush, i used it in my xf with over 300 000kms on it, and it helped alot.

What kinda of oil filter are you using?

#13 ·
i used an engine flush before i changed the oil but since it wasnt regod i had to let it idle for 20mins (i think) like the bottle said. dont think it really done much though. next time ill take it for a drive to circulate it properly. i think the oil filter is a repco 1 but since its at the mechanics getting a tune up i cant check till later

#14 ·
The cam shaft and lifters need replacing.
This model motor seems to be quite hard on cams and normaly wear lobes down to round knobs.Pull out the lifters if the bottom of any of them is worn (caved in) replace all and cam.
To do a cam swap it is best to remove number plate and use hole saw on bumper bar to make hole large enough to remove cam. Number plate covers hole when job complete.

#15 ·
I get this noise with my XE... stock 250 with the carby, runs on gas. 215,000kms.

It wasn't noticable when I get the car, just acquired the noise at about 200,000. Replaced the cam, all lifters and timing chain about 3,000kms ago so its not those... The noise isn't constant, mainly when the engine is accelerating or the throttle is "on". Buggered if I know what it is, its annoying though, the car is in pretty good nick and thats the only real noise that comes from it. I use either Penzoil Multi-Vis or Castrol GTX, both are 20/50, changed every 5,000kms. The stuff thats in there has 3,000kms on it (changed it when I changed the cam).

Btw that engine flush stuff is good, seems to quieten the motor down a bit.

#17 ·
Put engine flush in today ran it for 10 mins idling then emptyd oil, put new filter on and new Shell engine oil for older cars + Wynns engine tune up thats meanto free sticky lifters, has not changed the ticking AT ALL, still remains the same :|

#18 ·
Have had the same complaint very recently. To isolate which rocker is causing the noise it is neccessary to run the engine without the rocker cover on. Get a feeler gauge (around 20thou should suffice) and carefully place between the rocker arm and the valve stem. IF the tick goes away, the cause is that there is a problem with the pushrod/hydraulic lifter assembly.
Another way, which is not as scientific is to firmly grasp the rocker arm. If there is any lateral movement, bingo you found the "crook" assembly.

Now the crunch, the only adjustment is by obtaining a longer pushrod, this will require finding out the lenght of this pushrod and either going to FORD or a wrecker and asking for one which is 60thou longer. Pushrods are made which are 60thou longer and shorter than stock. Hope this helps.

#19 ·
i just finnished running in a reco in my ute. used to tick so loud it scared little kids.
all 12 lifters were stuffed as well as the cam, had to go 40 thou as no1 had a bad lip.
the bad ticking noise was a cobination of all the above and the timing chain hitting the cover it was that bad

still ticks !! but a lot quieter

#22 ·
Craigglez said:
I get this noise with my XE... stock 250 with the carby, runs on gas. 215,000kms.

It wasn't noticable when I get the car, just acquired the noise at about 200,000. Replaced the cam, all lifters and timing chain about 3,000kms ago so its not those... The noise isn't constant, mainly when the engine is accelerating or the throttle is "on". Buggered if I know what it is, its annoying though, the car is in pretty good nick and thats the only real noise that comes from it. I use either Penzoil Multi-Vis or Castrol GTX, both are 20/50, changed every 5,000kms. The stuff thats in there has 3,000kms on it (changed it when I changed the cam).

Btw that engine flush stuff is good, seems to quieten the motor down a bit.
check ignition timing sounds like its pinking. :wnc:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.