Ticking noise at higher speeds - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2004, 17:38   #1 (permalink)
.au member

Ticking noise at higher speeds

Guys, my EF has developed a bit of a ticking noise which sounds something similar to a card stuck in a bike wheel sort of a ticking/flapping noise, sorry hard to describe!), and it seems to do it quietly at around 110, 140 its bloody loud and im not game to go any further to test and see if it gets worse.

Not getting any warnings or indications coming up on the cluster, and I have had a good look around the bay to make sure there's nothing loose, cant find anything that looks damaged or out of place. It seems to be coming from the left (passenger side) of the car, but as I said it only happens very quietly at around 110, the faster you go the louder and faster it gets.

Can someone please give me an idea of what it might be?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2004, 18:13   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Re: Ticking noise at higher speeds

Does it seem to do it mostly on acceleration? If so, check that the cannister purge valve inside the front left hand wheel arch in front of the wheel isn't making contact with the bodywork or chassis; it is meant to be suspended in mid air with its connecting hoses. It is the small silver coloured bit below the cannister with the two wires connected to it. It opens and closers rapidly and this will transmit a ticking sound if it contacts the bodywork or if the valve is faulty and excessivel noisey. If you are unsure if this is the source or nor just go for a drive with the two wires unplugged from the valve and see if the noise vanishes.
Old 03-05-2004, 18:16   #3 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

OK check your suspension/driveline. It will probably be a rotating part.
Tyres out of balance/alignment?
Tailshaft unbalanced (likely) or uni joints stuffed?
Is anything rubbing on anything?

The other thing you can try is the purge solenoid, sometimes these will rattle against the chasiss, generating a ticking sound. Although it's not generally speed-related.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 18:26   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Quote:
The other thing you can try is the purge solenoid, sometimes these will rattle against the chasiss, generating a ticking sound. Although it's not generally speed-related.
Mongral it does rattle against the bodywork; it's is a electronically switched air valve that opens and closes rapidly and repeatedly always making a ticking noise which is engine speed related (faster on acceleration). The noise however is usually not heard inside the car as the switch is suspended in mid-air by two rubber hoses. However, if the switch touches the bodywork or chassis rail the sound of this switching on and off will be carried into the passenger compartment and will often sound like it is coming from the passenger side dash, firewall or footwell.

The switch can also become noisier and a pedestrian can also often hear this ticking sound as a Ford accelerates past them although the driver and passengers in the car will be oblivious to the noise.

Last edited by Aussiblue; 03-05-2004 at 18:42.
Aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 18:53   #5 (permalink)
.au member

Cheers for the replies guys, I dont think it's the suspension as while the car rattles and squeaks like a trailer (must do something about that!), it was all checked out after the crash and there was no evidence of anything rubbing/moving, or any broken parts.

Thanks for the help, I'll have a look at the purge valve this afternoon and let you know how it goes.
Old 03-05-2004, 19:04   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

OK if it was fixed after a crash it is very likely that the put it back together with the purge valve touching the body work or chassis rail.
Old 03-05-2004, 22:20   #7 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

The charcoal cannister purge valves only seem to operate at medium throttle & low-mid RPM. Mine was driving me crazy - I thought lifter first but the symptoms weren't entirely consistent with that diagnosis. But the speed of the ticking does increase with engine RPM - so it's certainly possible that's your problem. It was actually another thread on here that lead me to finding mine - touching the wheel arch. Thank god for newgroups!
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech