time to rebuild the mighty EF - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2004, 02:34   #1 (permalink)
e-mutant extrodinare

confused time to rebuild the mighty EF

Hi guys, I think I mentioned it elsewhere in these forums, but for those of you who don't know, I melted a piston in my EF. For the story of how - http://www.jamonkey.netfirms.com/roadtrip.htm .

Anyway, that is fairly irrelivent. I was toying with what to do and I have decided a rebuild is in order. Which is where you guys come in.

Basically, I have a complete engine, minus one piston and a head gasket. I don't want to go fully hardcore, although I do want more power/torque than standard. I am thinking, bored, ported, polished head, bigger pistons, high performance head gasket, perhaps bigger injectors.

I don't know a huge amount about engines as I'm sure you can tell. I am not doing this work myself, I will be getting my mechanic to do it, but, I want to know what to ask for and what is a good way to spend my money. Like I said, I don't want to go hardcore, I just want a little more than the standard output.

Thanks in advance guys, Waity.
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2004, 03:07   #2 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Re: time to rebuild the mighty EF

Buy an ACL race rebuild kit which is for the bottom end. Get a machine shop to port the ass out of the head, get a full exhaust system and a cam to match.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:19   #3 (permalink)

See if you can get your hands on an XR6 head as it has bigger valves and stuff allready, then a good cam and good exhaust system should do the trick.
EAO WORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 09:26   #4 (permalink)

All depend on how much you want out of her. Dont bother changing injectors unless you want like 200rwkw+. Good idea to port and polish head and fit bigger valves. You can change to XR spec exhaust valves if you like which is easy to get done. I would also look at getting a set of AU rods and pistons which will help you rev a little harder. Also get the bottom end balanced.

Also pick a nice cam for it. Depending on what sort of engine behaviour you are after, look at wade 1004's or 1521a's, crow stage 3, or something from JMM. From memory cams from wade will cost you $120 for regrind or $390 from a new blank, crows are also $390, and JMM's regrinds are $490.

Some of these things could be considered hardcore, but since you will be stripping back and rebuilding from a bare block and buying new stuff anyway, it might not cost you much more.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 05:07   #5 (permalink)
e-mutant extrodinare

Thanks for the tips guys. I was just talkin to a newly found friend who is an auto leccy, working for the local Ford Dealer. He said he is gonna talk to the Head Mechanic there and get a few tips. I'll keep ya all posted on the progress.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:45   #6 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

get your block bored 20thou, use ACL AU race series 20thou over pistons and grab some AU rods. Get the whole recipricating mass balanced, ported head with larger AU valves(exh) and a wade/surecam regrind(to keep it on the cheap).

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 09:13   #7 (permalink)
what u lookin at

use an AU metal head gasket?

new timing gear, and locaters which ive heard these can sometimes break
adj. vernier cam gear

and whats been said above
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:14   #8 (permalink)
e-mutant extrodinare

Thanks, forgive my stupidity, but is a cam regrind where I send them my cam and they send it back with a different setup? What sorta money am I lookin at for this and how do I get onto them?

Cheers, Waity.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:16   #9 (permalink)
e-mutant extrodinare

Walkinshaw, Just had another thought, you have mentioned using AU valves and needturbo6 said au headgasket. I was wondering if an AU head would fit/work/be worth the effort. I'm probablly askin some stupid questions but I want to make sure I am spending money where it is needed and not spending it where it isn't. I have a small budget but willl spend what I have to.

Cheers.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:26   #10 (permalink)
e-mutant extrodinare

and BAM another thought enters my head, If I do put a cam into my EF, that'll mean that I will have an EF cam spare. I have heard that you can fit it into an EA. Does anyone know how hard this is? I have done a cam swap with a mate before, I know it is pretty simple. If I fit the EF cam to the EA, will it just work straight away? will the car need a retune........

Cheers again guys.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech