Ford Forums banner

Timing belt or timing chain?

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  galapogos01 
#1 ·
My bro was in town for the weekend and I drove him around in my ED for the first time. He was saying waht a good car the ED was etc, and letting me know what to expect to go wrong with it.

Now I trust his judgement because he owns two taxi licences. Now... he recons at 100,000km the timing belt will need changing. And secondly he said to watch out for the harmonic balancer.

Ok so the harmonic balancer is no biggy, but the timing belt most certainly is. But I thought the 4L OHC six had a chain driven cam not a belt driven one. Doesn't this mean that it will theoretically not wear out?

Can someone shed osme light on this?? Is it a belt or chain? Will i need to replace it?

The ED has done 119,000kms now. Had 113,000kms when I bought it from a Ford dealer.

#2 ·
IT IS A CHAIN!!

I suggest that at around the 200,000km mark, it would be wise to have the chain Guides replaced as they get pretty weak.
Unless there are some major issues that would have caused the chain to be damaged, you will probably never need to replace the thing, however, if you do, an entire kit would be around the $150 mark.

#5 ·
guys

i have a noise coming from the front of my engine when i sit at around 1500 revs. when i pass the range it makes the same noise too. the engine goes rough at the point, and the sounds is metal on metal tapping. im thinking its either valve noise or the timing chain - how hard is it to check if the timing chain is loose, and to adjust the tensioner? anything i should check for?

thanks

Jase

#9 ·
yeah, I have fallen victim to the EA's timing chain guides, 150 000klms old. Head Gasket went as well. Whats next on the EA Gremlin list? I done the accelerator cable, radiator and thermostat, I reckon the MAP, TPS or O2 sensor will go next :)

And I really hope the gearbox goes with all of them, gives me the big excuse for the Supra 5 speed.

#11 ·
Bass Crazy said:
IT IS A CHAIN!!

I suggest that at around the 200,000km mark, it would be wise to have the chain Guides replaced as they get pretty weak.

I look at it this way - You expect things to wear and to say it will last a certain time is being a little optimistic. I had the CHAIN guides done in my EF Wagon last month and it's done nothing like 200,000 klicks, the guide had snapped just above the tensioner and luckily there was no room for it to drop down into the motor. The whole lot came as a kit and took almost two days to replace (One of those things - One mechanic sick, one away training but I didn't mind) All up about $300.

Cheers

Paul B
XR6WGN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.