Timing Chain attaching back to Cam. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2005, 02:11   #1 (permalink)

frown Timing Chain attaching back to Cam.

After a blown head DIY, I've just completed bolting down the head & sprockets of my Ford 1990 EA Falcon. Getting off the timing chain was easy but trying to re-attach it back onto the Cam is too damn HARD!!! Can anyone please shed some light on how to loosen up the timing chain so I can slot it back into the Cam. I tried unlocking the chain tensioner but its still not enough to pull the chain into place of the Cam. Has anyone had this problem?

Men are better navigators than women however we men hesitate to ask for directions when lost.
falcon4250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 03:39   #2 (permalink)

Re: Timing Chain attaching back to Cam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon4250
After a blown head DIY, I've just completed bolting down the head & sprockets of my Ford 1990 EA Falcon. Getting off the timing chain was easy but trying to re-attach it back onto the Cam is too damn HARD!!! Can anyone please shed some light on how to loosen up the timing chain so I can slot it back into the Cam. I tried unlocking the chain tensioner but its still not enough to pull the chain into place of the Cam. Has anyone had this problem?
how did you unlock tensioner,pull it right out and reset it,let me know exactly what you have done.
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:02   #3 (permalink)

Hopefully you just unbolted the gear off the cam and left the chain attatched to the gear.....................
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:23   #4 (permalink)

yeah usuall i just use some cable ties round the cam gear and just slip it of the cam and let it sit there and bolt everythin back on and it is simple as to get the gear back on without the tensioner in then.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:39   #5 (permalink)

when i 1st got it off I cable tied the chain to the gears. next I released the tensioner unlocked it but did not take out the tensioner as the tensioner retainer was impossible to pull out (tried with two point 90 degrees plier and also standard pliers, still won't budge). I then unbolted the gear off the cam. Rested aside secured, chain still attached to the gears fixed with cable ties. Is there any other notches or pulleys that will allow to loosen the chain abit more?

Men are better navigators than women however we men hesitate to ask for directions when lost.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:41   #6 (permalink)

Chain will go on easer with tensioner removed - be very very careful with that tensioner tough, if it is not reset properly you'll be rebuilding the engine soon!
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 22:22   #7 (permalink)

thanks guys... great help and problem solved. Fiddled a bit more with the tensioner and managed to get tensioner out. Then the chain became so much looser. All fixed and back on the road in no time.

Old 09-03-2005, 07:59   #8 (permalink)

i dont think i set the tensioner correct when i did my headgasket DIY the other day, and it rattled for a bit and the engine worked for 1 day then the next day the timing seems way out and the chains stopped rattling, now it fires into the intake manifold n shit and runs like a dog.. do ya think it might have shifted a cog and how do i reset the chain to the right cog/timing and retention it correctly?/ anyideas,, my car is off the road till i work out how to fix it and i need it!!

HELP????
rob_929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 20:41   #9 (permalink)

Its possible that the chain has jumped a tooth. pull the rocker cover off and check the timing marks. With the Harmonic balancer at top dead cantre there should be a mark on the cam gear about 1-2mm above the head if you look at it level from the front. Check the chain, if it is sloppy then that will throw the timing out heaps also.
tjb45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech