Timing Chain Rattle Back Again? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-29-03, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
96 EF Futura
Timing Chain Rattle Back Again?

I replaced the timing chain and guides about a month ago, all has been fine up until now. I drove from Northern NSW to Brisbane yesterday and all seemed fine. Then started her up this morning and found that i have a rattle between 1000-2000rpm then it goes away. I'm fairly convinced it is the chain but i may be mistaking it for the lifters as it seems to tick more than rattle at idle. If it IS the chain, could it be that i need to re-tension it? ie. release the tension a little then screw it back in?
The car was running hotter than usual on the way up as I have a lsipped balancer and cannot get the timing spot on. Maybe the oil has thinned due to the excess heat, i dunno its a long shot. I think what I may do is try re-tensioning the chain, if that doesnt help, perhaps a thicker oil to see if its oil pressure related. Any other suggestions/opinions?

Lets go find that Hotdog tree I planted

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
Sponsored Links

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts