Timing Chain Rattle Back Again? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2003, 21:05   #1 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Timing Chain Rattle Back Again?

I replaced the timing chain and guides about a month ago, all has been fine up until now. I drove from Northern NSW to Brisbane yesterday and all seemed fine. Then started her up this morning and found that i have a rattle between 1000-2000rpm then it goes away. I'm fairly convinced it is the chain but i may be mistaking it for the lifters as it seems to tick more than rattle at idle. If it IS the chain, could it be that i need to re-tension it? ie. release the tension a little then screw it back in?
The car was running hotter than usual on the way up as I have a lsipped balancer and cannot get the timing spot on. Maybe the oil has thinned due to the excess heat, i dunno its a long shot. I think what I may do is try re-tensioning the chain, if that doesnt help, perhaps a thicker oil to see if its oil pressure related. Any other suggestions/opinions?

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech