Timing Chain Rattle Remains!!!!!!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2003, 23:24   #1 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Timing Chain Rattle Remains!!!!!!!!

I have just spent the last week ( on and off ) replacing a broken guide, replaced the crank sprocket. The tenioner was replaced about 2 months ago, the chain and guides were supposed to be replaced 5 months ago and i still have a damn timing chain rattle at idle!

Just ran the engine with the rocker cover off and the only thing that seems strange is that the chain is slightly overhanging the tensioner guide. When idling and looking down i can see the chain moving toward me than away etc ever so slightly, could this be the drama and also what could cause this? I would have thought that the chain would sit in the middle of the face of the guide

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2003, 23:44   #2 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Throw the thing in a hole
Old 03-26-2003, 02:14   #3 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

I'm not too far off karl

Lowered EF Futura
Old 03-26-2003, 04:11   #4 (permalink)

Did you remember to UNLOCK the tensioner after installing the timing cover? (using 3mm aller key)

I bought my ea a year ago and it always had timing chain rattle on start up. Last month I read some posts on how to remove,check and install the tensioner, so i gave it a go.
What I found was that someone had forgotten to UNLOCK the tensioner after doing some repairs.

The timing chain is also tensioned using oil pressure so you might have a blockage somewhere.
image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 12:59   #5 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Image, Thanks for your reply, yeah I have unlocked the tensioner, I have tried resetting it about 3 times but still no good. The chain is nice and tight on the right side but slightly slack on the tensioner side, so obviously it has to do with the tensioner. I will play around with it a bit today and take it for a drive to see if i can build oil pressure up a bit. After running for a while then remvoing the tensioner, theres a fair amount of oil in the bore etc, so im guessing its getting enough oil

Lowered EF Futura
Old 03-26-2003, 17:49   #6 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Well I am just about to pull my hair out.
I have tried re-installing the tensioner a number of times and I cant get it to tension the left side of the chain properly.
It doesnt rattle until it has warmed up, it only rattles on idle, mostly pretty bad, ocassionally just noticeable. as soon as i hit the accelerator it goes away, although there is a slight ticking when cruising which only disappears when decelerating. Does this sound like an oil pressure problem?

Lowered EF Futura
Old 03-27-2003, 15:25   #7 (permalink)

is the pressure regulator valve still in behind the tensioner and the right way around??
my friend left it out and that caused a few chain problems.
cheers tasha
tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 18:45   #8 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Re: Timing Chain Rattle Remains!!!!!!!!

Do they really use oil pressure? That's a bit flakey IMHO - most jap tensioners are independant hydraulic/gas setups and just have the holes to mount them with so they're permanently tensioned. They'd have to have tiny orifices to stop bleed down or a ratchet mechanisim - I'm fascinated - anyone know more about how they function?
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 20:49   #9 (permalink)
Often has bolts left over

how they function? not very well on the EAs! the major problem (o-ring being sucked into oil pressure passage) was fixed with the 4.0 engine. they have a spring that hold the chain tensioned before the oil pressure builds.. it doesnt do a real good job though so they usually rattle for the first few seconds on startup. perhaps the oil pressure passage in the block is choked six_in_a_row.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:25   #10 (permalink)

still should pull tension on the chain, regardless of whether its got oil pressure, normally the spring will put enough tension on it that the chain will be tight to touch
ebs_4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech