Torque and EFI - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2003, 02:11   #1 (permalink)

Torque and EFI

has anyone done any serious tune-dvelopment with an AU inlet manifold to increase torque?

Is the diaphragm controlling long runner / short runner (power) available in other vacume settings? ; Is the same diaphragm activated by the ECU or is it purely vacume??

The current dyno shows 255 hp (190kw) at wheels, but the torque curve is to much of a split... The car AU II races in dirt. Engine is pretty basic with all the work done in the head.

Presently the thing becomes a dog under 5000 rpm with any load.

We are limited to the AU manifold.

Thnx
supraturb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2003, 05:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: Torque and EFI

what the hell has been done to this beast... full specs please!!! 190rwkw on a basic engine with only head work presumably running stock ecu. WHAT THE.. would like to know what injectors/fuel system you r running...
ebs_4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 14:05   #3 (permalink)
Demeritator

To my knowledge most factory inlets ARE already tuned for max torque, and of course max quiet. This makes them drivable for grandad. The Broad Band is already over 100% efficient, so it's pretty much torque city. Sounds to me like your cam grind is limiting you, but at 190kw's I figure you have to comprimise somewhere. I'd personally sacrafice a bit of top end outright power, for a more drivable ( ie tourqey ) grind.

The latest 295kw holden has gone to a smooth inlet tract, which they say increases torque, so look at loosing the rubber accordian style elbows. Keep the inlet as cool as possible, I jacked mine up away from the broad band manifold so it just rubs on the bonet underlay. I also put heat proof tape on the underside. One big thing I noticed for grunt was to put an EF bellmouth from the airbox lid into the AU, noticable grunt increase. Mkae sure you sand out all the edges in the whole inlet, especially the EF bell. A mate of mine had one of these spun up out of alloy to the same length, but it doesn't taper down inside the lid - reckons it worked great too. I'm happy with the EF bolt in myself. Got an XR reg too, bit more fuel pressure for future mods, runs rich, but mid range grunt improved straight away. Feel the computer has adapted now though. E-mail me with your address and I'll post pics for ideas. I run the BA inlet, no noticable difference, but may flow more air for your application.

Greg.
gregroles@optusnet.com.au
cogdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 15:20   #4 (permalink)

ebs_4... It is a race car so the bottom end is stock... stock as far as components go that is!
the only real machine work done was to clean the bore to have the clearances correct, barrel grind the pistons, machine the exhaust valve relief into the piston and then cermic coat them.
ECU is MOTEC. Injectors are as used on SVO mustang - bosch number...($1100.00 a set)
Fuel is ultimate 98 to stop the ping, cam is a crow... but I think we will moving away from this to an Tighe.. maybe!
Most are stuck with an EF valve train...were NOT!.. we run the AU valves.

Thanks Greg.... I will shoot you an email and scan in a shot of the AU in flight.
Old 11-04-2003, 18:34   #5 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

supratub- I am very keen on modifying my AU naturally, and getting some serious power, something very few people have done!

do you have any dyno results? pics? any more sort of info you can post? I dont want to turn mine into a race car, just some serious street ass kicker lol

cheers

steve
judo_mad@hotmail.com
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 23:11   #6 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

As to the EF bellmouth - I cut mine just inside the airbox to remove the taper. Seems to have worked OK and it's certainly in no danger of falling out.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:01   #7 (permalink)
Demeritator

mongrel, something for you to consider?

http://www.autospeed.com/A_0073/cms/article.html

I noticed quite a grunt difference with this bolt in on my AU....
cogdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 16:00   #8 (permalink)

www.autospeed.com/cms/A_0122/printArticle.html

A great article on Breathing Deeply.....
Old 11-08-2003, 22:32   #9 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Hmm, that was very interesting. Made me want to finally get my arse into gear with my planned cold air intake :)
After reading what they said about the bellmouth pulling air from the centre of the filter, I might make up a replacement for the one I cut - but 80mm all the way down!

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech