trouble dialling in cam - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2005, 03:24   #1 (permalink)

trouble dialling in cam

I've had a Wade 1004 110phase in my car for about 1month now and I finally decided to dial the cam in this afternoon. The problem I am having is the tensioner is not keeping constant pressure on the chain so I get about 1cm of movement on the balancer before the cam sprocket moves. Because of this I get a different reading each time I go to TDC.

The only reason I can think off is I haven't started the car in a week. Could this be my problem or would something else be causing this.

Also is it best to measure the lift off the top of the valve or the rocker arm?
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2005, 03:39   #2 (permalink)

Re: trouble dialling in cam

The cam specs will tell u lift of say 30 thou atdc. thats at the valve so measure at the valve end of the rocker as the rocker ratio 2:1 will stuff up this value if you measure at the cam.

The chain tensioner should only take up the slack. As u wind the engine clockwise the leading edge of the chain goes taut and thats what matters. obvoisly winding it backward the cam sits there and doesn't move if the tensioners not locked up. But you don't need to release the tensioner to time the cam?
Old 01-27-2005, 04:37   #3 (permalink)

Thanks,

I will play around with it again in the morning when I'm more awake.

One thing I found with the dial indicator measuring off the top of the valve was the reading kept slowing moving back to 0. I assume this is the lifter compressing futher up into the rocker arm? Am I correct in moving past TDC until I get a constant reading or does this mean I need thicker shims?
Old 01-28-2005, 16:57   #4 (permalink)

Never whine the cam backwards as you have found the cam doesn't move till the chain takes up the slack. The tensionor is designed to pick up the slack not keep the chain tight. When dialling a cam move the cam lobe from 50 thou before to 50 thou after (maybe less) and average the degrees, this will give you the degree of the lobe.
blown EF 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 21:17   #5 (permalink)

if the lifter is compressing and the mesurement changing then just measure the lift at the lobe end of the rocker but here you need to only have 1/2 the lift in an E series or 56% of the lift at the valve in an AU 1.8:1 or 2:1 rocker ratios are used.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:59   #6 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

If you're trying to set it to a certain amount of lift at #1 inlet valve @ TDC then you need to be reading from the top of the rocker arm with the indicator set to be as near in line with and parallel to the valve stem as possible (you can place it forward of or rearward of the hole - the lateral location is the critical thing) - then take each reading by starting about 1/2 or 3/4 crank turn back from TDC - then smoothly rotate the crank thru to and beyond TDC and note the reading as the timing mark passes the TDC mark. If you stop at TDC then yes the reading will start to change after a few moments - that's why you take the reading "on the fly" passing TDC. For each time you want to check the setting, take a few readings to check for consistency.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech