Turbo charging an I6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2003, 22:04   #1 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Turbo charging an I6

I will be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about setting up a turbocharged engine. I was wondering if the turbo boffs out there could explain what bits u need, what they do, how much they cost etc as I am sure alot of people would be interested to red it for theselves. U think we all pretty much know how a turbo works but how would u go about setting one up ( on a budget ) for an inline 6. Which turbo to use etc etc

I found this site which is good
http://www.turbofast.com.au/TFmatch.html

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2003, 22:49   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

I'm trying to do just that If I get enough guys intersted. But it's a diy [do it yourself] job.Possibly along the lines of two kits one with original exhaust manifold no intercooler low boost a budget kit/ povity pack to get started. Another with custom manifold Hi Flow T3/4 "or" whatever.[conservative I know but very streetable]

After doing just that to a V8 I'm wanting to do same to the ED XR6 ..As each one is made it gets cheaper...
kiwi_reign@yahoo.com.au Check out The Market on f/f....
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 02:46   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

My medium-term shopping list includes a pair of T3 turbos with internal wastegate, exhaust manifold, piping, 3" exhaust, uprated injectors and fuel pump, ECU remap, BOV of some sort, and various internal engine mods.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 03:17   #4 (permalink)
donuts2001

If I had a spare $8G laying around I'd be going for a full BAXRT motor drop-in. It's a much more refined motor and with a aftermarket computer will give you 300kw, thats before you start modding it.

Oh yeah... and the glorious thing is, you'll still get better fuel economy then what you currently get out of your standard i6 motor right now.

Just waiting for my lotto numbers to come up... and then I'll get right onto this conversion. :|
Old 05-17-2003, 17:48   #5 (permalink)

anyone got a heads up on where to buy a custom exhaust manifold for cheap?

Im planing on doing a 250 Xflow and as the engine comp of the unleaded XF motor is already 8.7, the comp doesnt need to be dropped that much to retain good driveability.

My plan for an engine is acl dished duralites pistons, moly rings, shot peened rods, LPG spec cam, ARP rod bolts, shot peened push rods, hardened valves, and thats basically where i get stuck. Im not sure what else to upgrade and what to use.

I will be using a gas research throttle body for the setup, as it has been proven to be a very easy way to make a lot of power, not to mencion its all EPA legal!

I was looking at either running a single s5 rx7 turbo, or twin s4 rx7 turbos. WIll just depend on where i can get a manifold from, and how much it will cost to get one made up!!
unknown user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 02:52   #6 (permalink)
Ford Nut

http://www.gasresearchpc.com.au/html...fications.html
Old 05-18-2003, 03:03   #7 (permalink)
Ford Nut

unknown user,

try doin this:

bore the block out,
shave the head,
hardened valves,
hardened valve springs,
port and polish the head,
grind and balance the crankshaft,

the possibilities are endless, there is no such thing as a fully worked engine as an engine can never be fully worked.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:52   #8 (permalink)
4.1 XFLOW EFi Turbo

Im in the process of doin a turbo 250 efi, i was originally goin to build a stock motor, get a decomp plate and run an aftermarket ecu, but after bein in my mates xf turbo i decided to build a killer engine.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:54   #9 (permalink)
4.1 XFLOW EFi Turbo

unknown user..........jason at gas research could knock u up a manifold (they look mad also) for around $1200
Old 05-20-2003, 01:59   #10 (permalink)

yeah, i know nik at turboworx very well, so ill probably get him to build my motor and do the manifold. If not, ill get jason to knock one up and he'll be taking care of the tuning for sure.

Just a long way to take a car of that size on a trailer when the tow car is only a ZL injected 6. Turboworx is just around the corner literaly.

Ive costed out a full rebuild on an EA 3.9L motor, with components that 68OOST used in his motor, and it doesnt seem like a lot of $$$ for a big hp motor!! ill be using lesser pistons thou, as i wont be running near as much boost or as big a turbo.

ive seen john's xf (back when it was red and the twin BOV as a wastegate) up close not long after it was built, and all the pipe work is flawless!! Jasons twin turbo XE is also an absolute work of art.
unknown user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech