twin cam ef - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2003, 03:22   #1 (permalink)

twin cam ef

how much trouble would a twin cam ef be is it possible to modify ba twin cams to suit
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2003, 04:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: twin cam ef

Different block. Probably better off with a one of the jobs from Castlemaine Rod shop. They did one a few years back that made 240kw. Can't remember if it was and EF, but it was definitely an E series job. I'm pretty sure they also do them for the holden and ford carby sixes.
XF__UTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 04:23   #3 (permalink)
No longer around

Quote:
Originally Posted by XF__UTE
Different block. Probably better off with a one of the jobs from Castlemaine Rod shop. They did one a few years back that made 240kw. Can't remember if it was and EF, but it was definitely an E series job. I'm pretty sure they also do them for the holden and ford carby sixes.
it was a mob called krogdahl that does the twincam heads, and they would be laughing all the way to the bank now with the " i wanna have a twincam head like a BA"

i think the web is www.krogdahl.com.au or www.krogdahl-heads.com.au or something similar, anyone wanna correct me?
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 16:55   #4 (permalink)

Sorry, think MadNC_8 might be right there. I did think that Castlemaine sold them though, must be thinking of 202 superchargers and the like.

They'd be getting some business alright. I'm amazed more people didn't go this way over the last few years (I've only heard of 1 or 2 cars with this head fitted) given you get the same power as from an EF-AU 6 with the CAPA supercharger kit and it's NA. Imagine it with a supercharger, you'd have to be looking at around 300kw and huge torque.
Old 10-21-2003, 17:15   #5 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

I'm pretty sure the reason for people not getting them is that they are bloody expensive ($5000 kicks around in my head for some reason).. And at one stage (I'm not sure now) they were only 2 valve heads, as opposed to the 4 valve of the BA. They are suited very well to high rpm stock car stuff with massive porting i've read somewhere..

I've got the street machine article where they tested and dynoed one on an au xr6 hp and the gains was around 20kw I think.. but much smoother curves and idle.. I could look it up if anyone is interested..

Dan..

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 17:19   #6 (permalink)

Just checked on their site and the cost is $6 050 gst inc and for that you get

- Cylinder head complete, tappets set, sealed ready to bolt on.
- Inlet and exhaust manifold adapter plates suit Ford.
- All drive pulleys and timing belts with adjuster and ancillaries.
- Drive kit for alternator, water pump, power steering etc.

Claims 11rwkw gains and double the spark plug replacement costs (twin plugs per cylinder)

I'd say 6 grand worth of boost would give more than 11rwkw gains!!

Dan..

Old 10-21-2003, 17:51   #7 (permalink)

"I'd say 6 grand worth of boost would give more than 11rwkw gains!!" -Axeman82

You're kidding me? That's seriously average. They were getting a huge write up a few years back - I'm pretty sure someone had one of these setups pulling 220kw in street machine back in the late 90's. Though given what you've said it can't have been the street machine guys themselves or my memory is severely deficient. The one I'm thinking of must have had a heap of extra work done to it. You'd think they'd get that sort of gain with an exhaust job and a new single cam.

I'm also surprised at how small the gain is given there were a mob that did a DOHC head for the black 202 with tripple webers making 345bhp - I know it's tripple webers and it would have had a bit of work done, but all the same you'd expect a lot more from a recent 4.0 EFI engine.

Price wise $5000 sounds right.
Old 10-21-2003, 18:04   #8 (permalink)

well that was bolt on to a stock xr6 engine tho.. it would make a great base and mods like exhausts and stuff would benefit more.. the more interesting part was during the article in SM it said that they head was happy to rev to 9 grand all day long.. so with the appropiate mods to allow the rest of the engine to rev then thats where the gains are... serious high rev stuff..

so worked this head prob has more potential than the ba one which was deisgned for a street car, not racing applications..

Dan..

Old 10-22-2003, 01:39   #9 (permalink)

9 GRAND????? That's rotary revs. Jeez it'd sound sweet and go hard if you sorted it properly.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:32   #10 (permalink)

The head might handle 9 grand, what about the rest of the motor? :) Another motoring journo with his hand on it.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech