The ultimate tugboat - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2003, 17:11   #1 (permalink)

The ultimate tugboat

I have a dream, to build the ultimate tugboat.

In short, I want maximum low-end torque from an EBII six. Power is not important (yes I realise the two are intimately connected).

Basically I don't mind the odd thrash, yet I get my kicks from those 2000rpm - or below - trips. Just cruisin' and letting the world take care of itself.

So...has anyone out there heard of similar projects? Have any experiences or upgrade recommendations that you would like to share? Please do.

G.
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2003, 22:08   #2 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Re: The ultimate tugboat

You mean like a real boat?
Or a car?

They have plenty of low-end torque already, from driving it, but I can't supply any figures offhand.
You could try using an EF/EL/AU manifold, with the broadband wired to the open position.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 00:13   #3 (permalink)

hehehe...real boat...

I own an EBII Fairmont, just to clarify. Everything I read is go harder, go faster, power, power, power!!!

Now I know the eb has 348nm of torque already, and god how I love every one of them, but I want more. Specifically I want maximum low-end and mid-range toque. To hell with top end power.

Further to this I'm trying to figure out how to make the already more than solid six a bullet-proof wonder. Basically I want to be the laziest and longest lived falcon on the road.
Old 07-07-2003, 00:37   #4 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Ah....

Eh, other than the intake manifold, I suppose you could look at a cam - dunno what though, me not a cam person :)
Other than that extractors can help with power I know, torque....? I think 6:4:1 will give you power lower down the RPM band.

That's all I can think of, hope somebody else is more helpful!

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 01:58   #5 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Diesel conversion? :s6: j/k hahahaha
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmatic™) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothman™.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 02:50   #6 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

get a very small turbo or two - small enough to come on boost at like 1000rpm....they will strangle peak power production due to the small exhaust housings but thats not a worry as you arent after top end.

shouldnt be that expensive to do - just get a couple of stock turbos from an import yard that are off a CA18 or SR20 or something - teeny little buggers that nobody will want cause they are all after peak power.

because you are after such a 'mild' setup the stock bottom end will easily cope, you might even be able to get away with keeping the stock injectors.

if you want to make the I6 properly bulletproof (which is really money wasted, the bottom ends just dont break on these things) you could get the engine rebuilt with a AC Delco 'Race' series rebuild kit (from $600-$1000 for parts depending on how hard you shop around) apparently this kit is able to cope with up to 700hp, so it really is overkill for your application.

good luck

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 04:49   #7 (permalink)

hehehe...maybe I should just shoot myself in the foot and convert to turbo diesel eh...

Seriously though, that kit sounds interesting, know anyone who's used it? As for turbo's well...to many modifications for my liking.

I've also been thinking about:

1) A larger MAF to complement planned throttle body modifications. On the larger throttle body (TB); can this be too big? As I understand it MPFI = no air speed (velocity) problems in atomizing fuel for proper combustion. To my thinking this means that a larger TB = better air flow, but does this mean more low rev torque or simply more high rev power?

2) As suggested extractors/ exhaust. Does the reduced backpressure increase exhaust scavenging from the combustion chamber with these engines? And does the momentum of the exhaust pull more air/fuel into the cylinders, hence increasing low end torque with these engines?

3) Under-drive pulleys. For example a bigger power steering pulley along with smaller crankshaft pulley = less accessory power drain. Anyone heard of this being done with these engines?

Anyway..enough for one post If this post is of an offensive length can some tell me? Not quite sure what the unwritten rules are yet...
Old 07-07-2003, 05:26   #8 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

You see posts a lot longer than that one mate..

Six_in_a_row - i think it was - got specs for a Wade Cam that is for low down rather that high up power increase so that may be an option.

As for making a bulletproof engine - have u considered a head gasket proof one? Fit an electric water pump with a timer so the water still flows for 5 mins or so after the car is turned off - slows down cooling of the block and less chance of warping, etc.. Personally its something I would do to all cars if they have been rebuilt, etc..

I don't know how good their reputation is tho..

Dan..

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 23:02   #9 (permalink)

Hey thanks for that, will pm six-n... to get specifics. Hmmm, me like mechanical, ugh. Seriously, I have this aversion to electrical components, if it doesn't need grease its suspect, really (i.e. electric water pump) although it is a good idea...

This is part of the reason I havent gone the thermo fan route yet (although haven't heard anything bad yet so maybe will do the conversion).

G.
Old 07-07-2003, 23:21   #10 (permalink)
NOS + Boost = Fun

Usually, best way to decrease power band, and increase bottom end torque is a stroker kit, athough i have never heard of one for a falcon 6, probably cause their got heaps already. But if you can find someone that supplies stroker kits for the I6, you would get your wish and then some.

Also might want to ring crow cams, they can custom make a cam for you that will suit your application, cost about $300. Pretty cheap, considering its custom made.
(I'll work it out one day)
Hilux Diff - 4.1 Detroit Locker
BlownV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech